Making The Very Best Out Of Kit, Grain And Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got my new hotplates yesterday, courtesy of Sera, who kindly gave them to me for free. A big thank you for that from me and also SWMBO, as it means that the kitchen stays beer free and only the garage gets covered in hop smell. I went to craftbrewer on the way back to pick up about 10 kg of grains, some yeasts, polyclar and other bits and pieces like a hydrometer that actually goes beyond 1040. I had ordered all this earlier in the day so I could just pick it up quickly. Most of the grains will be for my next few 9 litre BIABs which i will hopefully start on the weekend.

The steeping of the 330g Carapils went well, I used my almost swiss voille material that I bought for BIAB a few days ago. I thought about placing my 15l stock pot together with a big blanket into an 50l esky for future mashes, hope it's not too high, will try this a bit later.

I bath sparged the grains a few times, added a bit of LME to bring it to 1040ish and then brough it to the boil and added 30g of Saaz for 20 minutes. At flameout I added the rest of the LME and the kit, and filtered it through a sieve covered with a stocking into the fermenter. I was actually thinking of whirlpooling it and then syphoning it out, but did not feel too comfortable with that yet, might try to syphon with plain water first to get the hang of it.

topped it all up with chilled and room temp spring water to 20 litre, with an OG of 1048, and pitched the 2278 at about 22-24, after steeling a few drops for culturing (time will tell if that works out).

Gladwrap on, in the fridge and STC-1000 set to 20 degrees. That was at around 22:30.

Checked this morning at 8:30, and there was already heaps of krausen, so I set the temp control to 11 degrees, so it is slowly cooling down right now.

Am very excited, this should become my best brew so far if everything goes well. Am about to bottle Neill's centenniarillo on the weekend, will add polyclar to the cube today.

Have also changed fridges, have now made my bigger fridge the ferment fridge and the smaller one the cc fridge. The advantage is that I can fit a 25 liter fermenter into it plus one or two 15 liter willow cubes, which I will use as fermenters for my 9l all grains this weekend. As I will be brewing pilsener and hefeweizen, they can all happily ferment together at 11 degrees.

I was actually wondering if I could use the coles 10l spring water containers as fermenters, am not sure yet, I might give it a go.

Latest posts

Back