Making the jump from home brewing to brewing for a living

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Greg.L said:
You are lucky to have contacts like that, selling booze is much harder than making it. For me, the idea of contracting one place to make beer to sell in another place doesn't seem to have much point, I can't see where the fun is. Making your own beer and selling it direct to punters, yes.

1. I will still be designing the recipe, branding it with my own name, and actually brewing the beer. ie: Mashing in, boiling and cleaning up up afterwards. I'll just be using an established breweries equipment, kegs, excise license etc to do so (which just happens to belong a mate of mine). Brewing on a big system should be a hoot.
2. Well I'll be free to stand next to the taps wearing a logo'd shirt and each time a punter walks up say "Hey, that one's my beer, I brewed it, you should try it", but I couldn't be bothered with that. :p Craft beer when it's on tap in trendy bars sells itself. What did you have in mind by 'direct to punters'?

I don't mean to criticise what you are doing, sounds fine to me and a good opportunity, just not something I would consider rewarding. By direct to punters I mean a brewpub sort of thing, that would be my idea for a craft brewery.

It's OK we all have different priorities. Opening a brewpub would be fun and a rewarding experience no doubt, but it's something that I would need to quit my day job and take on full-time. I'm not the least bit interested in that. This is more or less an extension of my hobby, taking it to the next level but cautiously starting small. I'm not expecting a great ROI.

I'll stick with what I know for earning a crust, I'm far too heavily indebted with mortgages and investments to go out and take a gamble on starting a new busines in an industry which is new to me. Perhaps eventually in a decade or two's time when I inherit the big bucks I'll have a different outlook on life. :)

May your kegs take off at the pubs... I know quite a few would be insanely jealous of your position.

It is just a matter of whether the brewery is outside Sydney, zoning would be important but that is part of the DA process. If you want to sell booze direct to the public you need a suitable location (eg not next to a school).
You are talking two things here....the LEP determines the zoning of an area and if the property isn't zoned for alcohol sales or production then you cant even submit a DA. The DA is secondary to zoning.

jimmy86 said:
Thanks Scotty, happy to be corrected.
And spog Drs orders is doc and not dr smurto as far as I know. Doc was the cuckoo's nest brewer where he takes over the brewery ... In a sense.
Warning I was wrong earlier in this thread
Got the doctor/ doc bit right ,well ballpark at least .

Back