Making Clothes from Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forever Wort

Reaction score
Very cool.

"The medium has a feeder and a culture which creates a curd on top which we use then as the textile... the broth needs a medium to eat so it can be tea, coffee, red wine or molasses; wonderfully each one of these mediums gives a different answer ... we are in the early days of exploring but I know that coffee can give a different texture. It is amazing to think that you can use different food to create a different textile."
5765266-3x2-940x627.jpg

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-09-24/brewing-clothes-queensland-fashion-student-grow-garments-in-jar/5765060

Could someone make me a full body suit of this? Then I could rock up to case swaps like Leto Motherfarkin Atreides da 2nd. Booyah!

Looking into ANHC costumes, Forever? ;)

Well, this is something I can work with and understand a lot more than sweatshops in Bangladesh, that's for sure:

5765184-3x2-940x627.jpg

You paying your yeast minimum wage?

Probably more than that if you total the cost of fermentables they need to get fed to produce an entire garment!

Reminds me of this idea for a SF story I had recently of the evolution of a race of gigantic yeastmen, basically walking yeast colonies who would go around and spontaneously ferment stuff when they were hungry. That story didn't get very far, I wonder why....

Id say lingerie is probably not yet on the horizon. It wouldn't be good PR having a Vic Secret model come down with an infection.

Beer flavoured lingerie

Y'all should see my chunderpants sometime.

Latest posts

Back