Macs Hop Rocker

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi again,

I've just made a step by step guide for me to follow as this is the first time I've done anything like this. Can someone please take a look and let me know if I need to make any changes?

>>Bring 2L of water to around 70c, and steep 250g light crystal malt for around 30 minutes.
>>Rinse the grains with hot water (<70c) in a sieve over the pot
>>Top up to 5.5L
>>Add the 500g light DME and stir in
>>Boil water (watch for hot break!)
>>Add 20g NZ Cascade and 10g Nelson Sauvin (to boil for 15 minutes)
>>After 10 minutes add another 20g of NZ Cascade (to boil for 5 minutes)
>>After 5 minutes remove from heat
>>Add 30g Nelson Sauvin and steep for 10 minutes
>>Remove any hops bags (if used) from pot
>>Add dex or brew enhancer, and beer kit goop while still warm and mix in
>>Cool in ice water to around the mid 20s
>>Pour into FV and stir well to aerate
>>Pitch yeast
>>Wait patiently

Looks good to me. I'm making up two of these now as we speak, except the second one I'm going to go us cascade + ns
30 + 10 @ 15
40 + 15 @ 5
50 + 50 @ 0

1st kit was Coopers Mexican, second with Coopers Canadian blonde. Both with us05 @ 16 - 17 degrees

As kymba said earlier, don't worry about the hop bag. The pellets break up, and will eventually settle as the yeast does its work.
Word of caution, if you add hops to a boiling pot, they have a terrible habit of expanding quickly (someone else can elaborate on this) and boiling over - honestly you'll be amazed how quickly it can happen, and how high it can rise.

I add my hops slowly, and this seems to help.
Watch your pot at all times. otherwise a good percentage of your hops may end up on your benchtop.

As kymba said earlier, don't worry about the hop bag. The pellets break up, and will eventually settle as the yeast does its work.
Word of caution, if you add hops to a boiling pot, they have a terrible habit of expanding quickly (someone else can elaborate on this) and boiling over - honestly you'll be amazed how quickly it can happen, and how high it can rise.

I add my hops slowly, and this seems to help.
Watch your pot at all times. otherwise a good percentage of your hops may end up on your benchtop.

Yeah, I was watching some craigtube videos last night about this, looks like it could get pretty messy if not watched carefully. :lol:

Does it matter too much if the left over muck makes it's way into the FV? Or do I need to try and strain this out somehow?

Yeah, I was watching some craigtube videos last night about this, looks like it could get pretty messy if not watched carefully. :lol:

Does it matter too much if the left over muck makes it's way into the FV? Or do I need to try and strain this out somehow?
Actually yeah, After the boil I run my hose through a strainer, (or a hop bag) so I've just gone and contradicted myself.
The wort that ends up in my FV can look a bit soupy. but once the yeast starts to work it flocculates and drops all the gunk.
Sorry for all the vague answers & laymans terms, but this is the internet after all. Everyone's an expert on the internet right?

Actually yeah, After the boil I run my hose through a strainer, (or a hop bag) so I've just gone and contradicted myself.
The wort that ends up in my FV can look a bit soupy. but once the yeast starts to work it flocculates and drops all the gunk.
Sorry for all the vague answers & laymans terms, but this is the internet after all. Everyone's an expert on the internet right?

No worries, :lol: appreciate the help.

So should really try to strain as much of the muck out of the wort before it makes it's way into the FV. A little bit is not a big deal.

A piece of cheescloth (sanitised of course) in a colander or large sieve should do the trick?

I think I'll give this one a crack once my IPA has finished - about another week to 10 days.

Predicted

OG 1.048
FG 1.009
IBU 32.0
EBC 9.6
%alc Bottle 5.5

Curiously, the Mangrove Jack's International Czech Pilsener that I just did straight from the tin has 30-45 EBU. After sitting in the bottle for about three weeks or so is turning into a very nice drop. :)

Latest posts

Back