Lowenbrau Dunkel

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day

New to home brewing (second brew on the go ATM), and probably like everyone who gets started in this caper, wants to brew their favorite beer asap. I have been enjoying beer for 15 odd years and without question, Lowenbrau Dunkel is the best beer I have ever come across...

Does anyone have a recipe that goes anywhere near this stuff, noting that extracts and hops is advanced as I want to get right now?

Thanks

The pants

G'day

New to home brewing (second brew on the go ATM), and probably like everyone who gets started in this caper, wants to brew their favorite beer asap. I have been enjoying beer for 15 odd years and without question, Lowenbrau Dunkel is the best beer I have ever come across...

Does anyone have a recipe that goes anywhere near this stuff, noting that extracts and hops is advanced as I want to get right now?

Thanks

The pants

Pants - go to Jamil's archive in the Brewing Network shows - click on January 14, 2008 and he discusses his recipe for Munich Dunkel. I listened to it last night and it was very informative for both AG and extract brewers.

Cheers, Hoges.

OK, here's a link to the Munich Dunkel (Dark Munich lager) style discussion thread. Linky-O

Regarding an extract beer, you could use 2kg of Morgans Choc (Master Blend) extract and 2 kg of Morgans (Master Blend) lager malt extract, and you'll be in the right range for colour, gravity and flavour.
According to the website, the malts contain a total of 2.7 kg of 2 row barley malt (lager, adding 4.8 EBC to the final colour in 23 litres) and 2.3 kg Munich malt and 400g of choc grain (adding 43.2 EBC to the total colour), with a total sugars rounding out to 1.050 S.G.

Hop according to any of the posts in the thread, and you'll be mighty close, using w34/70 dry yeast. Could it be any easier? :lol:

Beerz
Les the Dunkel guy (too) :p

Back