low mash pH ? :-(

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HaveFun

Reaction score
Hi there,

Today's brew is going wrong :-(

6.7kg BEST MALZ CARAMEL PILS
1.1kg Wheat Malt - DE
0.2kg Chocolate Malt (Simpsons)

I'm using the EZ Water Calculator to adjust my water profile.

According to the calculator I have been adding for my 40l.

Gypsum/Calcium Sulphate CaSO4 2.00g
Calc. Chloride CaCl2 8.00g
Epsom Salt/Magnesium Sulphate MgSO4 8.50g
Lactic Acid 88% 7.00ml

During mashing, I just checked the pH and its 4.7?

I never had a low pH what are the effects on my brew?

Cheers
Stefan

It's really not great for the enzymes as it is a fair bit below their optimum range (ie they will only work slowly effecting you conversion and attenuation later on). It's not deadly if you catch it before completing the mash. So if you are still mashing it can be reversed by adding in some sodium bicarb or calcium hydroxide to bring the pH up. Initially add in a couple of grams and see how far it takes you and progressively add in smaller amounts (0.5gm) at a time and check after each addition (and thorough stir).

If you have the time to read then. http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.ph...#pH_optima_of_enzymes_other_than_the_amylases

Oh and if you do bring the pH back up to above 5.2, then of course give it some time in that range to ensure complete conversion (ie 15-40 mins temperature dependant).

Hi,

thanks, I used some sodium bicarb to bring the pH back up - but the mash is tasting somehow far too sweet.

I believe I will write this brew off.

But I don't know what the root cause was?

Is it the grain or my additions?

Cheers
Stefan

Hi Stefan, according to the calculator what was the mash pH prediction prior to the addition of acid? And what was the actual pH prior to acid addition?

Hi,

thanks, I used some sodium bicarb to bring the pH back up - but the mash is tasting somehow far too sweet.

I believe I will write this brew off.

But I don't know what the root cause was?

Is it the grain or my additions?

Cheers
Stefan
It was only after you posted this query I looked at your malt bill. One thing looked a bit odd, but I've not used Best Malz malts before, so I looked it up to make sure I wasn't mistaken. Did you really use 6.7kg of Caramel Pils? If so, this explains the sweetness. I'd then check your software and ensure you put this in as a cara/crystal malt, as I suspect you have put it in as a base malt, which it is not.

EDIT - this would explain why your pH was so low

thanks - you are right.

I added 6.7kg Best Caramel Pils instead of 6.7kg Best Heidelberg.

At least I know what went wrong..

Thanks

Cheers
Stefan

Latest posts

Back