Low Carb Brews

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

railgun_livewire

Reaction score
Any ideas?

I have a family member who has an intolerance to carbohydrates and it would be great to be able to produce a beer for them!

At this stage I'm working with kits - so if anyone has any advice with that in mind I'd like to hear.
I've read that a 'lower' carb beer can be produced by just not adding the extra sugar with the can of goo, but does anyone know how much this reduces the eventual carb levels?

Thanks all!

dont know the ins and outs of how you do it but something about dry enzymes rings bells to me , i also asked the same question of a brew shop owner a few years back , never did do a low card brew though...

they are intolerant to carbs? not sure how thaat works. but anywho

low carb beers require a special enzyme to convert the sugars. you just buy it seperately. theres quite a few threads on it

Perhaps it's more like a bigotry kind of intolerance? "Man, I hate carbs!"

Ah...I knew they'd be a trick for it!
thanks guys - I'll search a little deeper.

The carb thing is an odd one.
I think that in digestion it triggers an immune response that ends up in a rash.
Doctors couldn't work it out, but not eating carbs = no rash.

How does he get around the whole his-body-requires-carbohydrates-to-work thing?

...that seems to just be something that cereal manufactuers want us to think.
The body survives pretty well on minimal carbs. It can use 3 things to make energy to keep us alive: carbs/fats/protien.
So it will just use what it has. That's why cutting down on carbs is an effecive diet, the body moves straight on to burning fat!

Hey hey

Hope this helps but not sure what kind of alcohol level you would get if you just had the can kit and the low carb enzyme but my guess is it would be really low. I'm just about to make my move into extract brewing but my last 12 or so batches I have used a low carb enzyme. How it works is the enzyme breaks down the sugars more then it usually would so instead of doing for example a "Kit n Kilo" batch in which you use a can and a kilo of fermentable sugar like dextrose, instead you only have to use 500grams of dextrose and achieve the same result in alcohol content.

With homebrew I dont know any simple way of figuring out the carbohydrate content of a beer but with the low carb enzyme you can achieve the same result of alcohol content as a normal brew by using only half the fermentable sugar.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Cam Dickman

they are intolerant to carbs? not sure how thaat works. but anywho

low carb beers require a special enzyme to convert the sugars. you just buy it seperately. theres quite a few threads on it

My brother in law is 'allergic' to yeast. Wont touch my home brew. Will drink Coopers if I have any about...

...that seems to just be something that cereal manufactuers want us to think.
The body survives pretty well on minimal carbs. It can use 3 things to make energy to keep us alive: carbs/fats/protien.
So it will just use what it has. That's why cutting down on carbs is an effecive diet, the body moves straight on to burning fat!

Sounds like he's not intolerant he's just on a keto diet - carb intake is almost completely cut off to force the body into "starvation" mode (not yet proven to be a bad thing) and burn fat for energy instead of carbs. Note for those reading that this doesn't mean you'll lose weight, this depends on how much you eat!

Keto... the diet for anyone who wants their urine and breath to stink worse than anything else that comes out of their body.

While many do use it as a diet, this is a true reaction.
The day after eating carbs they can be sure to have the rash!

Latest posts

Back