Looking For Some Extract Recipes.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SunDrifter

Reaction score
Grah, i dunno wtf happened to my post!

Um, anyway, I've just tasted my first extract brew and it's turned out better then expected, so good in fact that i don't want to ever use the pre-hopped LME cans anymore.

But, i'm after some new recipes.

Does anybody have a good porter or stout recipe?

I'm thinking that i'll need some sort of choc grain to steep and some dark dry malt extract, but i don't have any idea what yeast or hops to use. Currently my hops in the freezer are all for pale ales. galaxy, centenial, amarillo, cascade, nelson sauvin etc...

More brewing, less drinking.... :lol:

Bit early for that! The stupid forum post editor was a bit screwy, hence the first post edit.

Also, IsoHops are the devil. Discuss.

I wonder how people make two-can recipes now, after finding out how much better home brew is without the kit can.

You can use lots of steeped spec malts for darker beers but I reckon it also helps to have to DDME in there.

well you could search the recipe database and use the method filter and only look at extract recipes. or you could have a look/search under the kits/extracts thread and find a heap of them.

or search under my name and extract recipes and you should find the docs ive put up in the past with extract recipes.

or look at the Grain and grape website.

if your doing an extract porter/stout then yes you will want some darker spec malts.

It's pretty easy to convert all-grain recipes to extract too just by replacing the base malt with LDME. There's a whole heap of AG porters and stouts on the recipeDB.

If the recipe calls for 4kg of base malt then add around 2kg of LDME and do the rest of the ingredients as you would your extract brew.

Grah, i dunno wtf happened to my post!

Um, anyway, I've just tasted my first extract brew and it's turned out better then expected, so good in fact that i don't want to ever use the pre-hopped LME cans anymore.

But, i'm after some new recipes.

Does anybody have a good porter or stout recipe?

I'm thinking that i'll need some sort of choc grain to steep and some dark dry malt extract, but i don't have any idea what yeast or hops to use. Currently my hops in the freezer are all for pale ales. galaxy, centenial, amarillo, cascade, nelson sauvin etc...

Check out some of the can you brew it episodes if you havent already. They've covered every single bjcp style, and a lot of commercial brands, and they give the recipes as extract as well as all grain.

A great place to start.

Check out some of the can you brew it episodes if you havent already. They've covered every single bjcp style, and a lot of commercial brands, and they give the recipes as extract as well as all grain.

A great place to start.

US sites in general are good for extract recipes as it is a much more common style of brewing there than here.

Found this recipe on beer smith and it was rated 50/50. Haven't tried it yet but it's on the list of maybes

3kg Dark Liquid Extract
.9kg Amber Dry Extract
.45kg Crystal Grain 60L
.23kg Roasted Barley
.45kg Oats

30g Cluster 7%AA for 45 minutes
30g Williamette 4.8%AA for 45 minutes
30g Williamette 4.8%AA for 5 minutes

It's not a stout or a porter but I brewed a good extract dark ale with plenty of help from Manticle. If you search for "looking for a winter beer recipe" it should show up. You could turn it into a stout or porter without too much tweaking. The 2nd time I brewed it I used simcoe for bittering because the amarillo didn't give me the bitterness I was after. I can't report on the simcoe version because it's currently in the fermenter but I'm expecting good things from this 1.

It's pretty easy to convert all-grain recipes to extract too just by replacing the base malt with LDME. There's a whole heap of AG porters and stouts on the recipeDB.

If the recipe calls for 4kg of base malt then add around 2kg of LDME and do the rest of the ingredients as you would your extract brew.

Hi Nick, what about LLME, how much of that?

I just put this one down on Sunday. Obviously haven't tasted it yet, so it may not be terrific, but here's the recipe all the same-

1.5kg LLME
1.0kg LDME
1.0kg DDME

300g Black Malt / Roasted Barley
100g Choc Malt

30g Fuggles @ 60 min
30g East Kent Goldings @ 60 min

10g Fuggles @ 20 min
10g East Kent Goldings @ 20 min

The book Brewing Classic Styles has some excellent extract recipes.

Back