Long Term Hop Storage

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SINBO is identical machine right down to the specificaions and warranty. Just different importer oem stickon on the same exact unit case. Only difference is price at $69 and cheaper shipping. The other one includes 50'assorted bags but if Mylar is the king then I'd want to go with $69 and spend the savings on getting a stock of Mylar.

Sunbeam won't list specifications even in their manual so unless an owner can pipe in with a vaccuum pressure rating I would go with the $69 option myself.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

Brewer pete...where can you get the SINBO unit for $69???

I found it searching with google using sinbo and eBay.com.au I believe, did this a about 30 minutes ago, should have saved the link but it's there and sold out of Melbourne as well. Funny enough even the wording seems alike to the other units seller which is also in Melbourne.

Bring both up side by side and compare the units and their specifications and it will look and read identical except for the stickon in te upper left corner of the case.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

I just noticed a few of those nozzle style ones say 0.035MPa which is 35kPa, but then other channel style ones like http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Vacuum-Food-Saver-H...emZ300350989064 say 85kPa... what kind of pressure is normal for these? That's a big difference.

a it of research shows sunbeam is a 35kPa, with pretty much every other model around 80, and commercial ones going into the 90s.

an expensive source for the nozzle sealer, but fairly good on bags, also stocking foil bags:

http://www.thepackagingcentre.com.au/categ...s-150mm-x-200mm

He's now got 9 left at 69 :)

If I'm going to get 500-900 worth of hops through the bulk buy for 50 to 60 or so, then I can drop 69 on a sealer.

I take it the foil bags at packing centre are really Biaxially-oriented polyethylene terephthalate (boPET)? :p

If so I'll have to stock up on some before the hops are a done deal.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

EDIT: Looks like this video is the go for sealing Mylar bags with hops inside using a standard vacuum bag trick.

Last edited by a moderator:
lol you mean mylar? I wouldn't have a clue, but you can get clear mylar too (like baking bags) the foil looking ones seem more popular for hop storage, though I've seen both types used extensively.

vacum packed some hop pellets and some hop cones this arvo and if you havn't got a sealer find some one who has. The difference is amazing. Any links to these mylar bags

As usual most of the sites with the products & information are in America. The address below gives an insight into Mylar bags and some pricing.
http://www.sorbentsystems.com/mylar.html

On another issue.
Home Smoked Grains: I hear its best to smoke grains about two days before you use them for the ultimate flavour experience. With this in mind it would be interesting to see if vacuum packing could considerably extend this period. If it does, its another way for a vacuum sealer to earn its keep.

I don`t know how these prices go for rolls as they go by weight not length.
http://www.qispackaging.com.au/Category/plastic-tubing

Could be a go for other sealing purposes but you want foil/mylar/boPet for long term storage rather than ldpe as with plastics in general they have higher gas permiability than glass and the first ones are the better plastics for protecting the sealed hops from oxidation over time as they sit until being used.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

I like the look of it and the fact their prepared to back it up with a 365 day warranty.

I got one of these for my b'day. I have sealed about 20 bags with it, and now it is dead.

Read the warranty terms.
"Back to base warranty. Customer is to pay all postage / handling costs BACK TO BASE and RETURN TO CUSTOMER. "

So there goes another 40 odd bucks to get it fixed... not happy jan!

QldKev

glaab: should work with any of the channel bags, that tubing looks like its probably flat on both sides. you need the stuff that is embossed or it can't suck the air out properly.

real_beer: that site also sells the ebay nozzle machine people have been linking to
http://sorbentsystems.com/sinbosealer.html

except they want about $100USD for it... still cant imagine how that person is selling for $69aud

I got one of these for my b'day. I have sealed about 20 bags with it, and now it is dead.
QldKev

Mate,
Why don't you bring it over....someone else gave me one that didn't work (it is a sumbeam)...I fixed it so now I have two.
We might be able to fix yours??
No guarantee, but worth a look.
Cheers,
Bud

try pulling to bits Kev not much in them, just some silicon tube , a cheap nasty filter and what look like the rubber diaframs out of a fish tank airator. Ours stoped working after Mrs Beer vac packed tuna and the juice cloged the filter and hoses so i injected idophor through it till it ran out the back, no problem since. ps we also got a spare heater bit with it. Was a$70 cheapy and had it nearly 3 years

This is a great idea!... For when I eventually have enough hops on site that need storage.

Read the warranty terms.
"Back to base warranty. Customer is to pay all postage / handling costs BACK TO BASE and RETURN TO CUSTOMER. "

So there goes another 40 odd bucks to get it fixed... not happy jan!

QldKev
The Bastards always get you one way or another. I suppose these types of guarantee are only worth while on more expensive things where the return costs are a fraction of the overall value.

To be honest I was going to get a vacuum sealer about 12 months ago but some peoples comments about their reliability eventually put me off. But with a lot of hops on the way I decided most of the people on the Eurolab forum gave positive feedback about the sealer and the thing looks pretty simple to pull apart and (if the pump wasn't blown) get going again. So I adopted the same attitude as 'Budwiser' & I 'Like Beer' have in the posts below and ordered one.

About 20 years ago Simpson wanted $450 to send someone out to replace a gearbox in a washing machine that cost $600 new, (small drops of oil were getting into the washing bowl) after telling them to go f*ck themselves I decided that if I was going to have to junk it I might as well have a go at fixing it myself. After explaining the situation to a repair shop near where I worked he told me that the problem would be the Bowl Seal, sold me the parts & lent me a special spanner to do the job. $16.50 & a 6 pack later the thing ran like a charm for another eight years, since then I always take the same attitude with my and other peoples stuff (thats why you can get so many good buys at the recycling tips.

I know you shouldn't have to when the things under warranty but you might as well pull it to pieces yourself and have a try at getting it to go again.

Latest posts

Back