Long Mash - Have To Duck Out

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
Currently have BIAB with 5k base malt sitting nicely at 68 wrapped in feather doonah doing its thing. It usually drops one degree in an hour so I don't need to disturb it.

Unexpectedly I have to go out in fifteen minutes & take SWMBO to the dentist, and probably by the time I get home it will have been mashing for an hour and a half, maybe up to an hour and three quarters.

Any dramas?

ps it's not for a full brew, I'm going to do a very hoppy boil and split it between four small cubes I bought yesterday and stash them away to do four partials (cube plus tin plus dex). Hence the higher mash temp as I'm looking more for grain aroma and body and concerned that a long mash with a drop in temp might end up as a lo carb blonde Nooooooooooooooooo :eek: :lol:

As per MVZoom, you'll be fine.
I typically always mash for 90 mins.
Quite regularly, I'll mash in then take the kids to swimming lessons. It'll be in there for 2 hours.
All good.

Doc

i know of a bloke (hi troy) that mashed in at 9pm one night, went to bed, got up at 8am the next day and started sparging. beer was fine i think although not something he'd do every brew.

Yep got home after about an hour and a half, - hoisted the bag, turned the urn up to 90, then went out shopping again and got back after 45 mins returning to an almost boiling wort and a nicely drained bag ;)
PS closed the garage door of course in case any local kids or dogs got in and scalded themselves..

There was a thread a little while ago about overnight mashing

Seems to be ok with no I'll affects

Though I remember there being a limit - 12 hours???

Cheers

I think a period of un sustained temp control will run rampant bad things, nasties. Overnight mash with temp control? bring it on!

I agree... overnight mashing could be bad.

I usually mash for 90 min these days, especially when using MO.

2 hrs wont hurt it. Not at all

cheers

I mashed in on a friday and it was boiled on a sunday. There was no temp control and the mash smelt like any other bucket of spent grains if you let it rot for a few days. However, the beer was surprisingly drinkable if you dont mind sour beers.

Latest posts

Back