Lme - Pale Vs Extra Pale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jase71

Out of Order
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm doing a Golden Ale extract today, and punching the ingredients into Beersmith. The results are

1.5kg wheat malt lme + 1.5kg pale barley malt lme = extimated OG 1.041, estimated FG 1.011 = 3.9% ABV

Im obviously going to have to add some dry malt extract to get the ABV up to around 5%. However I am going to use extra pale malt, and Beersmith doesnt list this as an ingredient.

So my question - is there going to be much of a difference in the OG between Pale & Extra Pale ? And if so, how can I calculate it ?

Over and above that, I'll be steeping 150grams crystal grain, but that doesnt really change my figures.

And I could swap my extra pale lme for pale malt if I need to, because I have some handy. My neighbour also has a can of amber malt that I could swap for if this is more appropriate to the style.

Feedback, guys ?

The potential of both LME, Extra pale ME, etc are rather similar. The primary differences are the colour and taste.

If you add the amber, it may not be to style (don't have tbe BJCP book to hand). I used it once and muffed up an otherwise perfectly decent pils... came out like Tui IPA (albeit with more flavour) and you wouldn't want to do that to your tastebuds.

Using the extra pale will get the OG up. May have a minor effect on the EBC, but not much to speak of.

If you have the LME or LDME, use that to bump the ABV else do the naughty and dex it (although it will thin it out a bit). Or DWME for more head and body, but not to style, fwiw.

Cheers - Fermented.

Do you have "Extra Light Dry Extract" in the ingredients list? Could possibly use this, our you would need the specifications of what you are going to use and make a new ingredient entry. I wouldn't think that the fermentability would be much different (however I do stand to be corrected here).

Cheers
Gavo.

Thanks Fermented. You gave me an idea, I might use a little bit of dex, also a little bit of maltodextrine.

Gav - I only have the supermarket Coopers dry malt at hand - which if my memory serves me is not extra light.

It's looking like this now, for an ABV of 4.7%

200g LDME
100g Corn Syrup (this is Beersmith's entry for Maltodextrin, right?)
100g Dextrose
1.5kg Wheat LME
1.5kg Extra Pale LME
150g Steeped Crystal Grain

Looks to be OK. Dex and malto are far from ideal, but you're miles from an LHBS so what you have is what will do. :)

Yes, BS calls dex Corn Syrup. I've edited mine to the local vernacular. Seppos! :D

If you can increase the grain, then that would make up for the loss of body from the dex but still maintain the ABV.

Cheers - Fermented.

Gav - I only have the supermarket Coopers dry malt at hand - which if my memory serves me is not extra light.

It's looking like this now, for an ABV of 4.7%

200g LDME
100g Corn Syrup (this is Beersmith's entry for Maltodextrin, right?)
100g Dextrose
1.5kg Wheat LME
1.5kg Extra Pale LME
150g Steeped Crystal Grain

I read it as you were looking for the entry of extra pale malt as an entry in Beersmith, then I reread your post. No problem.

The entry of Corn Syrup in Beersmith is interesting, it states it as "Syrup derived from corn with many of the same properties as corn sugar. May be used to enhance gravity without adding much body or flavor. Limit percentage in batch to avoid". I would interpret this to be a fermentable addition where Maltodextrine is unfermentable. I any case that small amount of Maltodextrine will make little difference to the OG and FG but will give a lighter colour and slightly less malt flavor if that is what you are aiming to acheive.

Cheers
Gavo.

I have everything at my disposal for all-malt, so supplies arent an issue. But my reasoning for the dextrose is because I dont mind a slightly lighter bodied beer. Such small quantities (ie 100grams) shouldnt make much difference either way.

As for the matodextrine, again this is about activly using it for a specific purpose, not out of any essential need or to take a poor-mans approach. in this case, for a slightly better head retention (as above, small quantity probably isnt going to make that much of a difference, but a little bit is good.

So my theory on this is that while too much of either is not a good thing, a slight trade off wont adversly affect a good drop. Fingers crossed of course.

Sounds like you have got it sorted Jase. Now get that starter going. :p

Cheers
Gavo

Why dont you add your own extract specs. Beersmith has Pale malt and pilsner malt. Not an exact method I know but I added extra pale malt and had the potential the same 1.036 I think and had the EBC half way between the Pale and Pilsener about 10 EBC, just a rough guess but it would be close than using any other extracts IMO.

Latest posts

Back