Little Things That Make Brewing Easier

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mobrien

Stubborn Scientist Brewing
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've done a few brews on my new AG setup, and each time I've found little things that just make it easier. This has meant making up some new gear at times, and usually its very cheap.

So I thought I'd share my things that streamline the brewday - the idea is if we all do this, we all might get a few hints and tips.

My idea for this thread is one "hint/tip" per post, and preferably with photos.

Bring em' on!

Matt

Tap wash adapter

This one came as a result of last brew which used pride of ringwood flowers - they got stuck everywhere and in the taps!

I made up an adapter from my 1/2" tap outlet on boiler and mashtun, going to a male garden hose snaplock.

wash1.jpg

Now I can hook up the hose and it washes out the lines - after the main wash, it also rinses everything off!

wash2.jpg

Total cost - around $5 for two adapters.

Brewin' Board, recipe and Docs SG to Brix table

Keeping track of the recipe etc was annoying me - how often have you put the recipe down and not been able to find it.

So I got a white board - this has the major items for the brew written on it, and as I go I tally the water as its added as well as the hop additions (and if I'm cooking a roast on the weber, even have the times for that!)

I also printed out Doc's SG to Brix conversion table and its stuck to the shed wall with a fridge magnet (lovely metal walls). Likewise for the brewsheet out of beersmith.

board.jpg

Funnel in sight glass of boiler

Another one as a result of experience. For two of my brews, the wort in the sight glass boiled before the main boiler, and so I had hot break frothing out the sight glass and making a mess. The sight glass also got blocked up with POR flowers last brew.

The solution? A plastic funnel that fits in the top of the sight guage! Now if the sight guage boils first, the hot break doesn't go everywhere as the surface area and volume of the funnel is quite large in comparison to the guage itself.

And just before I whirlpool, I add half a cup of water to the sight glass through the funnel, which empties out any junk in the glass, so no blockages.

funnel.jpg

Part time tap plumbed in shed

Probably the best addition to the brew day - I put in a tap to the shed. Its not a full time tap - I didn't want chances of leaks in my shed, and I don't have a sink there.

tap1.jpg

Instead, I plumbed the tap terminating with a male garden hose fitting outside the shed. Now I just roll out the hose and hook it in - tap connected. At non brew times, the tap is not connected, and a nice little dust/insect cap goes over the outside end (you can see it on the ground in the photo).

tap3.jpg

Thats the last one from me today, over to the rest of you!

Bottle Rinser

I got the idea for this from TidalPete's post on his bottle rinser. It is built using irrigation peices and wood. I wanted mine to be able to incorporate different size bottles and to be mobile so I built the bottle holder plank to be movable.

sideon.jpg

I used a piece of 2x4 for the base and sides and used the saw to cut slots in the sides where the wood can slip into. And cut 8 evenly spaces holes in the top plank with a whole saw drill bit to accommodate the bottle necks.

side.jpg

I used two nails frim a nail gun on each side of the plank because they had a flat head when sliped in the slots well.

woodplank.jpg

Then its just a matter of joining up the irrigation bits (make sure you get 360 degree drippers). Also I intend to add some legs out the sides when i get the time because when it has 8 tallies it becomes a bit unstable.

After I have washed the bottles with cleaner and a bottle brush I just stick them on the rack to rinse for 1 min. Then sanitize and they are ready to go. It can hold any sized bottle from a VB stubby to a champagne bottle.

Great topic Mobrien, one of the best purchases I have made for my brewing area was a retractable hose reel. I hate fiddling with hoses!!!!

RHR_200img_range.jpg

jimmyjack said:
Great topic Mobrien, one of the best purchases I have made for my brewing area was a retractable hose reel. I hate fiddling with hoses!!!!

View attachment 5922
[post="108020"][/post]​
Same as JJ

Normell

U mean that you use water for the brew that comes from plastic garden hose ???? or just for washing Etc. ??????

I think setting everything up the night before (crushing grain, getting water) makes brew day alot easier. A thermostat with a timer is something I have been meaning to buy for a while. That way mash in water would be ready when I woke up..
Another good cheap bit of equipment is a SS scrubbie over the end of a pick-up tube when using plugs in the boil. Use nothing if you are using pellets.

cheers
Darren

Feebles said:
U mean that you use water for the brew that comes from plastic garden hose ???? or just for washing Etc. ??????
[post="108080"][/post]​
That's a good question. I have always used the garden hose.
Is this a big no no?

that's a massive can of worms you're opening there :)
i start with 80C rainwater and add minerals
many people use water from the garden hose
others filter or purchase water

Darren said:
I think setting everything up the night before (crushing grain, getting water) makes brew day alot easier. A thermostat with a timer is something I have been meaning to buy for a while. That way mash in water would be ready when I woke up..
cheers
Darren
[post="108084"][/post]​

Spot on Darren
And I have the thermostat and timer , get up mash in then have a coffee.
Save hours

Batz

Thunderlips said:
Feebles said:
[post="108080"][/post]​
That's a good question. I have always used the garden hose.
Is this a big no no?
[post="108095"][/post]​

I have a clear hose connected to my water filters that I connect to the outside tap for brew water. I can then see if there is anything growing in the hose, and it doesn't get left out in the sun with the normal garden hose.

Batz said:
Darren said:
cheers
Darren
[post="108084"][/post]​

Spot on Darren
And I have the thermostat and timer , get up mash in then have a coffee.
Save hours

Batz
[post="108099"][/post]​

My HLT is on a thermostat too. The only way to go. As with Batz, getup mash in then go have breakfast.

Beers,
Doc

Caravan hose is what I use, white food grade hose, used for drinking water connection to van. Has some sentimental value, used it all around Australia with the exception of Coober Pedy - no water tap, had to buy water.

Great ideas here

My little piece of equipment that made brewing easier

Refractometer is a great addition to AG brewing

Cheers
Batz

The 3 things that have made my brew days so much easier, in no particular order

Hand held immmersion heater, Hop bags, Refractometer - none are necessary, but boy, do they help :) ...

cheers Ross...

hey batz and ross

i have been thinking of getting a refract, they are only $54 on ebay

which model did u get

is it the 0 - 32% brix unit?

cheers

Back