little creatures pale ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
okay Im back.....

i have found and tried a recipe this all happened a while ago ...anyway.

extract recipe lil critters
Malt

3kg Dry Extra Light Extract

25 grams Crystal Malt 140 EBC

Hops

40 grams Cascade pellets 5.7% AA boiled for 60 minutes

40 grams Cascade pellets 5.7% AA boiled for 15 minutes

25 grams Cascade pellets 5.7% AA boiled for 1 minute
20 grams Cascade pellets 5.7% AA dry hopped in primary fermenter

Yeast english ale yest ( cant remember which one sorry )

Boil 10 liters of extract for 60 minutes adding first hops at start of boil. Add grains to boiling water and sit for 20 minutes then add to boil. Dry hop with 20 grams in primary fermenter.
(also the cascade i sourced was 7% AA not 5.7% as recipe states)

so far this all looks good and semi like I know wat Im doin huh?....
oh fools.....
method I followed , after cleaning and sterilizing the usual stuff implements etc.. hot day ... better have a beer .. , have beer ...have beer .... mmm its hot, oh look more beer ...now lets start boil ....40 gramms ....mmm yeah handfull looks right.....oh look my glass has emptied itself .. must be a leak ...drink beer ...drink beer ....drink beer ....wife has wandered into kitchen looks worridly in my direction , must need more beer ...drink drink ..wats that noise ..o the timer .. i know it means somethin...drink beer .. add more hops ...(scoops handfull of pellets ...yeah thats good) throw pellets in ....bloody glass its still leaking ..drink beer ...where is that recipe ...oooo the stereo ..MUSIC!!! drink beer .......ahh recipe (head banging by this stage) add final hops yeah another quality calculation ( handfull of pellets quickly chucked at pot for final min) now where did i put that beer ... :p

anyway you get the picture , i bottled this brew and about 8 wks later i tastsed it and it was very strongly hopped to say the least well i left it for another further 3 months and one warm day remembered it .....well mamma !!! IT WAS BEAUTIFUL!
I even took a bottle to a mates place in Melb. he also commented on wat a fine drop it was ...very much lil creatures pa ...of course he then eagerly asked the question..... how do I ?...... well after i explained the complicated procedure ..him laffing his arse off by this stage
now there are none left .... <_<

mmm time to
wheres that beer ... let me think now ....was it drink drink drink ....
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I do mini mashes almost exclusively at the moment and think it is a great way for relatively new all grainers to gain experience. Anyway, I tried a bottle that I discovered in the shed yesterday and thought it was a pretty good drop. I went back through my notes and had it marked as an LCPA clone.

Now, I don't know how close a clone it is, but it is a good drop. I can almost guarantee that the recipe would have had a large input / inspiration from Jayse and Jazman (as most of my initial brews have). So thanks to those guys again.

Anyway .. the specs go like this ...
For 11 Ltrs post boil ....

Trade Ale 2.2kg
Munich 0.44 Kg
Cara Munich 0.11Kg
Wheat 0.11Kg

Hops
Cascade 15g @ 60
5 @ 15
5 @ 5

OG 1.046/1.054 (pre/post boil)
IBU 28.7

Yeast 1056

Now I don't recell ... but if anyone is plugging the specs into promash ... I may well of worked this out on 65% efficency (which is what I was getting at the time) But I am relying on memory here.(Bad notes ... bad boy)

My notes indicated that it only got a week CC'ing, but it has had a few moonths in the bottle "lost" in the shed. As I said, not a bad drop.

Hope this helps.
Cheers
JFF

Sboulton, did you mean 250g of crystal malt? Or was it really 25g? Im planning on doing an APA soon so this might be the go.
Cheers
Sean

Latest posts

Back