Little advice required

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Back2brewing

Reaction score
HI All,

I have recently got back into brewing, and have just done my first brew.

Using a Brewzilla 3.1.1 for a Hazy.

I took a refractometer reading post boil/pre ferment at 13.5brix Have just tested now after 5 days ferment at 5.5brix.

Using BRY-97 as my yeast. Looking at my old conversion chart this has me starting at 1.056 and finishing at 1.023, however a quick check on some online calcs has me starting at 1.053 finishing at 1.002.

So slightly different. ferment was at about 19 -20 constant. Airlock had stopped.

Checked refractometer and it reads 0 with just water.

My recipe was calling for 6.7% which the online calc has it at.

Am I missing something here. Thanks for taking the time to help an old brewer out.

B2B

Refractometers are good pre fermentation, and I use one myself for that. But, you need to ensure that the sample on it is at ambient temperature to ensure you have an accurate reading.
Post fermentation you can't use the raw reading, as it is skewed by the alcohol content of your beer, and you need to use a conversion chart to adjust the reading.
A little more information on your method would enable us to form a better understanding of what's happening.

Hi B2B, I use a refractometer and the Northern Brewer Refractometer Calculator. after conversion it comes up with an ABV of 6.93% so another difference. Nevertheless, same readings after a day apart says your finished (as you know), but the conversions on Norther B., are 1.053 and 1.002 just like your converter.

Thanks Guys,

Well, that seems like great attenuation then. I have tested again today and get the exact same result. So as you say, I am confident that the beer is done.

Thanks again for your replies.

Cheers and Beers

B2B

Latest posts

Back