Liquid Smoke

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaunous

I Drink VB
Reaction score
So, who uses it or has tried it, and im not talking to crap stuff, im talking the distilled proper liquid smoke, only meant to put a coupla drops in a whole dish.

I have a smoker before you say 'Just use a smoker', but im talking about other dishes that I dont want to wait 10hrs for and sauces and so on, i'd put smokey sauce on my weetbix if the missus didn't judge me, love it.

Thinking about giving it a go, but its worth around $20 for 200ml. Worth It???

I used the stuff at country brewer once. Left it at the olds house and mum used the rest on something.. I think it was $5 for 50mL!

It was alright, gave a smokey flavour. I guess I depends on what you are doing, If I was making a smoked jalapeño sauce, I'd probably use a smoker, but for a smokey bbq sauce I'd be happy to use the liquid smoke, as that's what I originally used it for..

Yep I use it in bacon I make as I don't have a smoker. Gives a pretty good flavour I reckon.

Jurt said:
I used the stuff at country brewer once. Left it at the olds house and mum used the rest on something.. I think it was $5 for 50mL!
It was alright, gave a smokey flavour. I guess I depends on what you are doing, If I was making a smoked jalapeño sauce, I'd probably use a smoker, but for a smokey bbq sauce I'd be happy to use the liquid smoke, as that's what I originally used it for..
Not trying to be stupid but, how the hell do you smoke sauce, I'm Guessing you wouldn't waste hickory chips and LPG smoking just a sauce, maybe throw it in when your smoking meat one day. I've never actually thought about actually smoking a sauce.

I think you can make it if you run smoke through a condenser
Saw it on a tv show no personal experience

Jurt said:
Smoked jalapeños + blender and other ingredients = smoked jalapeño hot sauce lol
Doesn't sound like it'd have a strong smokey flavour, but may give it a go.

Pokey said:
I think you can make it if you run smoke through a condenser
Saw it on a tv show no personal experience
Yeh this is how I've heard it's made, I still can't fathom how that works, running smoke through a still as you don't think of smoke having a vapour to condense, but I suppose it must some how, unless they run something else with it so it bonds to it.

Better get on the google machine.

I guess if your running the smoke ( hot ) through a heat exchanger ( cold ) you will get a liquid. That liquid would be a concentrated smoke flavour.
I really have no idea and have never thought of it before until now. ?????

If you smoke ingredients properly they become smokey. If you turn those ingredients into a sauce, you have smoked sauce.

Try smoking some tomatoes one day, then making them into a sauce. Declicious. No help to OP sorry.

another way (that will also exclude the bitter tannins and terpenes from the raw wood), is you shove a block of Ice onto a shallow SS pan and throw that into the smoker on Full, the aromatic particles will condense to the ice in preference to anything else and drip down into the pan, no need to ruin Anyones bedware or get horrible tastes ;)

it`s not exactly Hillbilly style, but what we Chemists would call Closed System Distillation
From some cooking forum, sounds promising

manticle said:
If you smoke ingredients properly they become smokey. If you turn those ingredients into a sauce, you have smoked sauce.Try smoking some tomatoes one day, then making them into a sauce. Declicious. No help to OP sorry.
Smoked tomatoes are awesome, they were the first thing I smoked

I have bottles of Hickory and Mesquite smoke from usafoods.com. They work fine for what they are. I wouldn't use it for a substitute for a smoker by adding it to meat or stuff or even for a complex sauce that i could make in large batches, but if you are cooking up a slasa or sauce on the stove for dinner that night and some smokey flavour is required then they work just fine.

The doom and gloom merchants will tell you they are disgusting, this is not true. And i have a cold smoker so i know the difference.

The butchery at Sawtell has sold me liquid smoke in the past
I just take a empty soy sauce bottle in and they fill it up for me, usually charge between $5-$10

I've never smoked anything but meats, I'll give vege' sand chilli's a go, and make a chunky sauce in the blender.

I do however put that masterfoods smoked marinate on everything, but like everything, would rather make my own.

Although my chilli's are really struggling in the heat, slowly all dying off, half the plants don't know weather it's spring or summer.

I'll check them guys at Sawtell Butchery out, Grandma lives just don't the road, might just drop in one day I'm there.

Back