Lion introduces "Tap King" - party keg / growlers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Filled an empty from one of my kegs, with the 12g cartridge carbonation seems perfect. Awesome for taking beer to parties if you already keg.

You know that bit in Apollo 13 where they are trying to power up the "LAM" and they need the "procedure"?

Well I need the procedure!

Just sayin

Has anyone else had the issue of the o ring in the top of the bottle being stretched or out of position when removing the empty bottle from the tap? My last few bottles look like they'll need new o rings prior to reusing with HB.

My empties dont come off smoothly, I must say. Feels like a little more effort is involved that I would have thought to move the lever back into place. Possible tap issue I guess with mine...

Yep I've had 1 where o ring looked twice as big when it was done.
Designed for single use?

mrTbeer said:
Yep I've had 1 where o ring looked twice as big when it was done.
Designed for single use?
Perhaps! I might try opening the tap until there is absolutely no more fizz next time and see if that makes it any better.

Robv said:
Filled an empty from one of my kegs, with the 12g cartridge carbonation seems perfect. Awesome for taking beer to parties if you already keg.
Where did you get your cartridge Rob?

JustAdam said:
Where did you get your cartridge Rob?
Got a couple from the local gun shop to test, will order more from finewhip or somewhere similar.

Good pickup diver!

I'm a noob when it comes to home brew, can someone explain the steps of how to get my home brew into empty tk kegs, how much carbonation I need, or do I just put home brew from fermenter in and the c02 will carbonate the tk keg , or will I have to work out the how much carbonation for the 3.2 l keg with the carb drops,

Again I'm new to this,

Thanks in advance

So, the basic process is basically empty the TK bottle, disassemble it, replace the CO2 canister, refill it with carbonated beer or flat beer with priming sugar, reassemble it and let it carbonate as you would a normal bottle if carbonating in this manner, then fit it to the dispenser and chill down?

If carbonating it in the TK bottle itself would you load it into the dispenser straight away or wait until it is carbonated?

Or am I completely off the mark here? :blink: Was thinking about going to Dans and picking one up to have a play around with on my next day off.

Rocker1986 said:
So, the basic process is basically empty the TK bottle, disassemble it, replace the CO2 canister, refill it with carbonated beer or flat beer with priming sugar, reassemble it and let it carbonate as you would a normal bottle if carbonating in this manner, then fit it to the dispenser and chill down?

If carbonating it in the TK bottle itself would you load it into the dispenser straight away or wait until it is carbonated?

Or am I completely off the mark here? :blink: Was thinking about going to Dans and picking one up to have a play around with on my next day off.

Wait until it is carbonated, then chill it and load it. The CO2 in the canister/cap is just for dispensing pressure. Well that is a least my understanding.

JustAdam said:
Wait until it is carbonated, then chill it and load it. The CO2 in the canister/cap is just for dispensing pressure. Well that is a least my understanding.
That's what I was thinking too. I think next Tuesday might be a bit of an investigative day. B)

Thanks guys ,

Only a few days till my beer is ready to brew :)

Here's my hack in pictures using 16g bulbs. I had some lying around for my bike.
MFL fitting ($2.50), 6mm hose (had it?), stainless clip ($1), 4mm hose and plastic (TK $23), mini-regulator ($39)

1.Remove 2.Drill 3.Assemble 4.Pour

Put a new TK bottle in here and you can reuse the lid/bulb and bottle after for your HB in another TK.
Put a used TK bottle in here and you can dispense your HB from it.

IMG_3732 (Large).JPG

IMG_3738 (Large).JPG

IMG_3745 (Large).JPG

IMG_3748 (Large).JPG

mrTbeer said:
Here's my hack in pictures using 16g bulbs. I had some lying around for my bike.
MFL fitting ($2.50), 6mm hose (had it?), stainless clip ($1), 4mm hose and plastic (TK $23), mini-regulator ($39)

Put a new TK bottle in here and you can reuse the lid/bulb and bottle after for your HB in another TK.
Well done :)

Tony M said:
Finewhip have no 12g bulbs until mid Sept. All you enthusiasts must have cleaned them out.
Ordered 10 off,12g sparklets from ezychargers @$1.20 ea + $10.00 P&P on Monday afternoon. They arrived early Wednesday and I was equipped with three litres of easily portable beer less than an hour later. I reckon I could refill these from a keg and be ready to go in less than 1/2 hour. My only reservations are that these are a single use container and a few refills would see leaking seals and stripped threads in the plastic where those dreadful little screws are located.

Tony M said:
. My only reservations are that these are a single use container and a few refills would see leaking seals and stripped threads in the plastic where those dreadful little screws are located.
Which is why you are better off using a different gas source like mrTbeer has. I should have mine done tomorrow, slightly different to his but runs on the same principle.

mrTbeer said:

Thats a great job. Well done! Tell me, do we need the gauge on the mini-regulator or is all that is required simply an on/off screw? Does the TK still regulate the pressure or does the mini reg now do it?

Cheers

Back