Light German Bock

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimbo9

Reaction score
Hi there

I'm thinking of trying out this recipe from the Coopers site.

Has anyone tried it and if so what was it like?

Are there any simple additions/improvements you'd recommend?

Thanks in advance

Jim

G'Day Jim,
Recently made this one just before Coopers stopped producing the barvarian lager tin.
They ain't joking on the site with the alcohol content (mine came out a 7%).
Took about 3 weeks to finish brewing (kept at 15deg C the whole time) and is now coming on 4 months in the bottle. Tasted one the other night and still requires some more time to condition, but it was nice malty and robust through the roughness.
Probably could do with some hops to offset the maltiness but that may disappear with age.

Regards

Dale

If that style of beer appeals to you, have a browse for the style maibock.

This is a big malty lager, light in colour and with just enough hops bitterness to balance the malt.

Thanks for the ideas.

What and how much hops would you recommend?

Ive not tried maibock - i'm just experimenting for something different really after making a series of session beers.

The timing suits nicely as its cold in melbourne so i can ferment below 20C and it'll be a lot warmer in 4 months time when its ready!

jim

Bocks are one of my favourite beers to make, and one of the easiest best tasting ones was made from the following ingredients:-
Muntons Bock 1.8kg
Morgans Caramalt 1kg
Morgans Dark Crystal Malt 1kg
Safbrew T58 yeast
Mittlefruh Hops 12g (though next I will use Hersbrucker or Hallertau).

Plenty of flavour, at 21 litres, but to increase alcohol and flavour, brew at 15 - 18litres.

Back