Lhbs's Giving Me The Shatz Lately

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many thanks goombongo, so we have one and maybe a bit LHBSes. Its allright, I guess we can be thankful for site sponsors!

I agree. I am very thankful for the site sponsors as well as a couple other retailers who aren't site sponsors. The efficiency and service of many of the beer loving retailers is commendable. This is where the differentiation can be made. Some brew shop owners and employees are not that interested in beer. The ones who are interested stand out and these are the stores that get my money. A brew shop owner who openly admits that selling grain and hops isn't worth his time is not going to get my business. Not that such a business owner would care because I would be considered too much effort for too little return. A horrible attitude but no an uncommon one.

So for everyone not lucky enough to have a decent brew shop in the neighbouhood, Uncle Fester is right. Irrespective of location we all have access to a great range of brewing products supplied by a number of dedicated beer loving retailers. Long live those reatilers who believe that a brew shop can be more than just distillation supplies.

I agree. I am very thankful for the site sponsors as well as a couple other retailers who aren't site sponsors. The efficiency and service of many of the beer loving retailers is commendable. This is where the differentiation can be made. Some brew shop owners and employees are not that interested in beer. The ones who are interested stand out and these are the stores that get my money. A brew shop owner who openly admits that selling grain and hops isn't worth his time is not going to get my business. Not that such a business owner would care because I would be considered too much effort for too little return. A horrible attitude but no an uncommon one.

So for everyone not lucky enough to have a decent brew shop in the neighbouhood, Uncle Fester is right. Irrespective of location we all have access to a great range of brewing products supplied by a number of dedicated beer loving retailers. Long live those reatilers who believe that a brew shop can be more than just distillation supplies.
+1 goombongo, can't tar all retailers with the same brush. Voting with the feet is one way to get the message through if you happen to find a dud though.

BTW, seems like there's more than just a few members from Toowoomba, for all us lucky peeps ;) , the supermarket chain beginning with I near the CBD has a special on all the Coopers gear running until 28th March IIRC. I grabbed a few cans yesterday, their common garden variety cans are $9, international series $11, LDME $5, that sort of thing. Not OTT, but worthwhile enough to pop in if you're in the area, although the range is fairly limited and I always check the BBE dates now. So, the toucan I spoke of yesterday is now complete for components, just need to get off my loathesome spotty behind and whack it together (St Pat's day wrecked the schedule and made me all bleary- eyed this morning... How weird.).

Which LHBS's do you refer to? I am new around here and looking for a new shop to use.

Sorry for the slow reply - work has been hectic.

Rob 2 is correct about one... Dave's is very good. I'm no AG-er, but seeing sacks of grain in the shop is a sure sign of commitment to his clients. He always seems so ready to help, contribute ideas and offer sounds practical advice.

The other one I go to is Asquith. I don't know if they are a franchise or who they are affiliated with, but they're sure nice blokes. More of their stock tends to be less exotic than some of Dave's but they're very reliable and reasonably knowledgeable.

Makes me feel like a bit of a tart going to two suppliers. :) Nevertheless, damned happy about it.

Cheers - Fermented.

Makes me feel like a bit of a tart going to two suppliers. :) Nevertheless, damned happy about it.

Cheers - Fermented.

LOL, you think you feel bad, I order an Urn from Ross and grains/hops/yeast from Pat @ Absolute on the same day.......

To Ross's credit, he noticed I was waiting for my grain in my AG thread and PM'd me to check he hadn't accidentally missed an order.....

Sorry for the slow reply - work has been hectic.

Rob 2 is correct about one... Dave's is very good. I'm no AG-er, but seeing sacks of grain in the shop is a sure sign of commitment to his clients. He always seems so ready to help, contribute ideas and offer sounds practical advice.

The other one I go to is Asquith. I don't know if they are a franchise or who they are affiliated with, but they're sure nice blokes. More of their stock tends to be less exotic than some of Dave's but they're very reliable and reasonably knowledgeable.

Cheers - Fermented.

Looks like I need to brush up on my geography.......... I havn't been to Asquith for ages but every time I've been there I found it pretty good. Yeast and hops in the fridge are always a good sign. I didn't mention it because its a fair hike from Marsfield.... I guess it depends on your definition of local.

RdeVjun, the shop at Wyalla didn't close down but moved to another location. It was still open a few months ago but don't expect to be able to buy anything there. Almost zero stock. As i say, I went there once a few months ago. It may or may not still be there and if it is still operating the stock situation may be different. Only commenting on what i saw on one occasion.
It's gone, unfortunately a guy who seemed to have a passion about brewing but not about business. Very little to nil stock and hardly there at the store. He did at least he did have some grain, which was a step above the other store.

I just factor in that it's going to cost an extra $10 per order for brewing gear (up to 25kg from CraftBrewer), and it's here within two days. While paying for postage seems like an extra expense, when you average it out over how many brews you get from the goods it's next to nothing. A few cents per tallie/pint is hardly anything to worry about :)

Will sent you a message in regards to the St Arnold club.

I'll add to this. Thought I'd stock up and went to a local HBS that I only ever use in an emergency as I was in the area with time to kill.

Asked for the WB-06 to go with a tin of Coopers Wheat beer. He said no don't stock it, don't recommend it. I was 100% sure he'd sold me some last year in September.

"No no, I only recommend the Munich Danstar for wheats"

Fine I thought, maybe I'm wrong... I was happy to try something else so I bought it.

As I was browsing the shelves looking for the freshest can of Coopers Wheat beer a guy came in and asked about a few different hops. He had no Tettenanger and the guy said "Got any Galaxy? I hear they are fruity"

Now he said "No - galaxy is a malt"

WTF? Had to resist urge to say WTF? out aloud.

I said nothing, went home, checked my brew logs and guess what? He DID sell me WB-06 last year. I just hope the Munich Danstar is decent. I assume he was just out and was pushing whatever he had in the fridge.

Needless to say I think that is the last time I'll be going to that particular HBS. I suspect he drinks a bit too much of his own product.

I just hope the Munich Danstar is decent. I assume he was just out and was pushing whatever he had in the fridge.

I made two wheaties last year using the Coopers wheat and a Muntons Wheat as base (partial mashes to supplement) and the Danster dry yeast was good for the job.

Don't be too critical of your LHBS - its best to have an ordinary one that at least you can buy something from than having no LHBS within cooee.

Galaxy is also a malt.

Wouldn't you think though that any retailer worth his salt would sit on this site or others and educate himself in the ways of brewing rather than just sell tins of goo ? You can't stock everything and I gather most LHBS wouldn't have alarge enough customer base to warrant stocking a large range of hops, yeasts etc - but they should at least know what they are.

I stand corrected. I heard a guy ask for galaxy hops and the only thing that popped into my head was "....mmmmm fruity!"

Didn't think about malt for a second. However I would have thought he might have known this, it isn't an obscure hop is it? Geez I'm a kitz&bitz brewer and I've used it!

Galaxy is 'fairly' new not a staple hop like Saaz, Tettanang, Pride of Ringwood etc.

Oh I use them, but it doesnt compare with wandering around a LHBS.

Yeah, I know what you mean, but that wandering generally results in a lot more money being spent!!!!!!!!

:icon_cheers: SJ

I said nothing, went home, checked my brew logs and guess what? He DID sell me WB-06 last year. I just hope the Munich Danstar is decent. I assume he was just out and was pushing whatever he had in the fridge.

Interloper,

I think you'll be happy with the Danstar Munich yeast.

I did a few wheat beers with WB-06 when it first came out and was very happy with them.

I've since used the Danstar Munich yeast a couple of times and to be honest I prefer it over the WB-06.

Scott

Ok, not so bad, but one thing I have noticed with my LHBSs is that you really have to check the dates on the tins.

LHBS:
Pro: Usually larger selection than the supermarkets/Kmarts/etc.
Con: I have run into a lot of out of date tins on the shelf at full price, some 2 years past their use-by-date.
Con: Prices usually higher than LHBS for same tin.
Kmarts/etc
Pro: Usually fresher tins, most everything I have gotten is 2 years before the use-by-date
Pro: Prices usually lower than LHBS for same tin.
Con: more limited selection

Unfortunately there is some psychological relaxation in my head in LHBSs, and I have caught myself quite a few times almost walking up to the counter with an old tin. Finally the brain kicks in and I check the date in time to swap on the shelf or pick something else.

Paying more per tin for extract I mistakenly expect a LHBS to be more thoughtful on their stock and clear old tins off the shelves through sales or just pulling them.

Hopefully its different in larger areas around the country, but I have 2 maybe 3 LHBSs and thats it.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

Hi, I'm relevantly new to the home brewing, but the one thing that was pointed out to me as being more important than the tin/can being close to out of date, and that is the date the yeast was pack.

In my area I have found tins with 18 months shelf life, but the yeast is more than a year old, only last Saturday the LHBS owner and I found can with yeast that was two years old and the tins were new stock to the shop.

For those new to home brewing the date on the yeast will be represented with a number code something like this 027708 or 27708 either way, what that means is the yeast was packed on the 277th day in the year 2008.

02808 or 2808 means the yeast was packed on the 28th day in the year 2008.

You have to have fresh yeast, so crack the plastic lid and have a look because there's nothing worse than having to travel 29km's back to the LHBS and get another packet of yeast, or if you think ahead, have one or two packs in the fridge just in case.

I hope this helps someone.

Cheers
Carboy

Hi Carboy,

you have been a little misinformed - Dried yeast is manufactured to have a best before date of 2 years. Up to this time if stored correctly, it will be fine. Any older or poorly kept, you'll see the viabillity drop & would be best to pitch 2 packets. The quality of the yeast doesn't deteriorate as such, just less viable yeast cells. Old malt on the other hand does deteriorate & should be avoided for the best results.

cheers Ross

Hi Carboy,

you have been a little misinformed - Dried yeast is manufactured to have a best before date of 2 years. Up to this time if stored correctly, it will be fine. Any older or poorly kept, you'll see the viabillity drop & would be best to pitch 2 packets. The quality of the yeast doesn't deteriorate as such, just less viable yeast cells. Old malt on the other hand does deteriorate & should be avoided for the best results.

cheers Ross

Hi Ross, thank you for the extra info. Boy this stuff is twisting my brain big time, so many people and so many variations of whats right and wrong.

Mate, just one question if I may... Where you say "Stored Correctly" I've found some LHBS shops with their yeast in a fridge, others with it on the shelf, and other with their kits (tins) sitting in almost direct sunlight.

Who, what, where is the right way to keep any yeast?

Much appreciate your help :)
Cheers
Carboy

Carboy,

Fridge or freezer is best, but the 2 year best before is based on keeping below 20c, so not essential.
Leaving in direct sunlight is a definate no no, it won't do the yeast any good at all, avoid these tins completely or request a fresh yeast.

cheers Ross

Latest posts

Back