Lemonade

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frasertag

Reaction score
Hi fellas

Been a while

I have just made up a lemonade
followed the age old thred on here
I used around 30 lemons off a workmates tree, they are slightly tart but not too bad.
I used 2kg of sugar
Juiced the lemons and zested around 10 of em, i sliced one whole lemon
boiled up lemon juice with some water
added to fermenter added sugar
added water to make 18litres, pitched Cider yeast starter @ 19deg with a Cider nutrient.
It has taken 3 days to start bubbling but is steady now, about 1 bubble every two for my beer in the other fermenter

My question is
I dont have a KEG, i would like to make it somewhat sweet as its for the mrs
its currently at 1025, it started around 1030.
If i was to bottle it while its somewhat sweet, and add extra suger as per norm, let it carbonate in plastic bottles so i know its ready.
What are my options to stop the yeast?
I know throwing the bottles in the fridge would work as it does with Oztops. but im affraid i dont have enough room in fridge unless i chuck em in the bar fridge at work.. where they wont last long if it turns out any good. Otherthing i was reading about is boiling a big pot of water up and placing them in there for 1minute to heat them right up and kill the yeast off, but heating up a fully carbonated bottle kinda sounds like putting a can of bake beans in the fire to me?

I cannot force carbonate as i dont have a keg so killing the yeast in the fermenter isnt an option either is it?

use some lactose to sweeten it, about 500gms for a 23litre batch should be about right for some thing like a lemonade

I have made a lemonade kit using lactose before while only using 6 lemons with the kit, the taste was just not right, specially after a couple.
My wife said i had made floorcleaner... :(

you could open the bottles after carbonation and throw in some preservative.

sorry if this is was necro.

u could try using one of those artificial sweetners. stevia (available from supermarkets) is the one that all the naturopathic hippies at work reckon is good. wouldnt go near aspartame after all the bad press.

Lobby

Stevia is good but all sweetening substitutes have their own particular aftertaste... In a lemonade it should be great but in a cup of tea it takes a little getting used to. Granted I was dropping a single leaf in to brew with the tea so was probably extracting some undesirables in terms of flavour.

Also Stevia extract is something like 300 times sweeter than sugar so you only need a smidge. Let us know how it goes if you go the stevia.

Back