Lemon Tang To Wheat Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DKS

Reaction score
Hi all, just cracked my first K&K wheat beer after only three weeks in the bottle, its a Morgans golden sheaf with amarillo hops and used Brewcellar wheat yeast (AKA safwheat K-97 ?). It has a very strong lemon tang to it which I havent had before with any other K&Ks. Could it be infected? or is this normal for this combo of wort & hops? Im hoping the lemon will mellow with age. I had to try a second tallie to make sure it wasnt just that one bottle. Unfortunately same deal. Any advice please. :(

Daz

How much Amarillo did you put in? Amarillo gives quite a citrussy flavour, wouldn't call it lemon though.

Lemon could also be from a scented detergent that wasn't rinsed well enough, or maybe from a mould of some sort.

Could be a new type of brew you just come up with. saves you putting lemon in it like the coronas

How much Amarillo did you put in? Amarillo gives quite a citrussy flavour, wouldn't call it lemon though.

Lemon could also be from a scented detergent that wasn't rinsed well enough, or maybe from a mould of some sort.

Update replies info. Used 25gms steeped then added to fermenter in sock/teabag No chance of detergent tainting brew and I would say a sour lemon not acidic. I did have trouble getting this one to ferment out though very slow after initial gravity drop.Hope your wrong about mould followed my usual hygene pratice.Thanks for replies. :icon_cheers:
Daz

I recently brewed a tripel with a high weat malt content.
It has lemony taste to it too.
I was dissapointed till we went to the Belgian Beer cafe and the Tripel I bought there, also had lemony notes.
Definately no Amarillo in mine.

I suspect it has something to do with the high temperature I fermented this one at.
I didnt have a thermometer, but it sat outside in the sun and rocketed out the airlock.

I recently brewed a tripel with a high weat malt content.
It has lemony taste to it too.
I was dissapointed till we went to the Belgian Beer cafe and the Tripel I bought there, also had lemony notes.
Definately no Amarillo in mine.

I suspect it has something to do with the high temperature I fermented this one at.
I didnt have a thermometer, but it sat outside in the sun and rocketed out the airlock.

Hey Beef, Interesting on the tripel (never had one myself). My first thoughts were temp probs but, although maybe a bit high it never got over 18degs. On the amarillo I added some pellet pieces to bottles of Blue Mt recently and that was very nice, not a hint of lemon but that was a small amount and not steeped then in fermentation for two weeks. Its a bloomin mystery. All suggestions/ideas welcomed <_<
Daz

Sounds like it could well be a yeast characteristic.
Some of the flavours given off by wheat beer yeast strains might be percieved as lemony.
I do recall some of my first attempts at hefeweizens coming off particularly spicy, peppery and citrus-like using K-97. Not specifically lemon, but i do reckon Amarillo hops may have simply added to spicy citrus character you could get out of this yeast.

id say its most likely the amarillo hops, but authentic wheat beer yeasts give off quite a citrus flavour as well. Compare the flavour to a nice hoppy amarillo driven beer like a James Squire Golden Ale, if its the same kind of lemon then thats what caused it.

It may be a combo of a few things!

Amarillo hops gave off lemon/citrus aroma and flavour in a pale ale I brewed once. It could be the also be the particular yeast you brewed with, at that temperature, or a combo of the two.

It could also possibly be the bottles? Some reused pet bottles could possibly bring along a new flavour?

Cheers.

Back