Lemon Myrtle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skramp_84

Reaction score
I found some lemon myrtle in my cupboard and thought I might try and put some in a future brew. It is the dried, crushed leaves of the lemon myrtle tree. Has anybody used this?

I am wondering if I should put it at the begining or put it in after fermentation has finished?

Also, in what form should I add it? Should I make a 'tea"or just sprinkle the powder in?

I found some lemon myrtle in my cupboard and thought I might try and put some in a future brew. It is the dried, crushed leaves of the lemon myrtle tree. Has anybody used this?

I am wondering if I should put it at the begining or put it in after fermentation has finished?

Also, in what form should I add it? Should I make a 'tea"or just sprinkle the powder in?

I've never used lemon myrtle ina beer but I've had a lemon myrtle

liqueur and it was a very strong taste. I would be very careful about amounts.

I read somewhere a suggestion that to determine amounts you make a tea and test for the desired strength - then just up the amounts into the volume of the beer you are making. I've always been more of a throw it in kind of person but with lemon myrtle I would suggest this method. The liqueur was a bit cough syrupy...

Had a test beer with a lemon myrtle and star anise blend.

the Star Anise was a bit full on, but reduced it was good. The beer was a wit style and the wheat malt and the lemon myrtle came out fine.

i believe the beer is set to be in production is coming months, would say under the Black Wattle monika.

Scotty

Haven't used Lemon Myrtle in beer before but have used it in cooking. ( I Manage a Restaurant). It is quite mild flavoured and is best used at the start of cooking so the flavour can impart itself. So I would probably add it at the start of the brew, and do what you suggested. Make a "Tea" from it and add it to the brew. Let us know how you go??

Cheers Scotty

Just a quick note on this topic....

To be safe, I'd recommend boiling any additives to your wort for a couple of minutes at the least to avoid the risk of introducing any infections.

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back