Leftovers brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chemfish

Reaction score
I have a bunch of leftover hops and chocolate malt that's getting a little old and was thinking of doing this with them, any thoughts?

23 litres

3.5kg Light dry malt
100g Chocolate malt
100g Med crystal

30g Challanger 45 min (8.1 aa, 24.5 IBU)
10g Boadicea 45 min (6.1 aa, 6 IBU)
10g Willamette 5 min (5% aa, 1 IBU)

Ferment with Nottingham at 18 degrees

OG 1.059
IBU 32

got another 150 odd gram of chocolate malt but I'm not too sure how much you can get away with adding.

Well, brewed this up this morning with the only change being I changed the final willamette addition to Challanger (to use the last 13 grams). Guess I will find out the old fashion way as to how well it worked in a couple of months.

chemfish said:
................got another 150 odd gram of chocolate malt but I'm not too sure how much you can get away with adding.
It depends on what you are trying to brew. For something like a porter, you could have added the lot and more. I haven't used extract for a while, but for a full size batch I tend to equate 1kg of grain to 10 gravity points for a ball park figure, so let's say 6kg of grain for your OG of 1.059.

A porter can easily take 5% chocolate malt, and even up to 10% if there are no other dark grains. That would be 300g - 600g in your case.
A brown ale will need 3%, so 180g.

Without doing a colour calculation, I'd say you'll end up with something where the darker bitters overlap the lighter brown ales. A bit of colour, but not too much roast to obscure those lovely Challenger hops. So yes, you could have added more, but I reckon you have brewed something tasty.

Back