Learning about partials.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wavemaker

Reaction score
Gooday all. I am taking baby steps towards partial mash brews. At the moment I am buying half kilo bags of cracked grain from my brew shop. Expensive if nothing else at $6.50 for .5kg. The label on the bag says cracked grain but when I look at it I can see quite a lot of intact grains. That doesn't add up to cracked grains to me. Comments please.
I have been looking at buying grains from Craft brewer, especially the ones marked "Steep" as that is where I am up to on this journey. The grains I see on their site are all whole, so how do I go about cracking them. Put them in the food processor? Rolling pin, mortar and pestle?
Any comments and helpful hints most appreciated. TIA.

When purchasing grain from Craftbrewer (online) look down the bottom of your order and there is an option for having cracked ( no extra charge) or uncracked grain. $ 6.50 for 500g is crazy expensive.

Oh and I just put uncracked in a large zip lock bag and roll a rolling pin back and forth for a couple of minutes. Does the trick. May as well get your grain cracked if you are not buying large amounts. Apparently uncracked stores better for extended periods.

Make sure you understand the difference between partial (partial mash, requiring base malt) and steeping specialty grain.

It will make a big difference to your recipe.

If ordering small amounts from craftbrewer or similar just get it cracked - only need whole if storing for a while. Cracked grain may sometimes appear to have whole grains left. Rub them together between your fingertips and see what happens.

Thanks for the replies. Manticle, could you pad that out a bit for me. What I am doing is adding the liquid from the half kg of grains after steeping at 70* for half an hour, to a Kit with a kg of DME as well. The brews are really different, in a most pleasant way. I am also adding a sachet of hop pellets to the boil.

Very simply - Malted barley contains starch. Yeast cannot eat the starch - it needs to be degraded into shorter chain molecules (sugars).

Some malted barley contains enzymes that will degrade this starch if given the right conditions ( leading to saccharification). Hydration and temperature are the two main conditions that activate these enzymes so soaking in water at the right temperature is enough. This is called mashing. pH is important too but leave that for another day.

These are your base malts like pilsner, pale, munich, maris otter etc.

All malted barley has been wet, and kilned or roasted to various degrees as part of the malting process. Some of it is kilned/roasted to higher degrees than others and is darker in colour. Of these, some have been kilned while still wet which encourages the same kinds of reactions that occur during mashing to happen inside the malt kernel itself.

These are your crystal type malts - crystal, caramel, cara, etc.

Some malts contain no enzymes and need extra enzymes from other grains to convert their sugars. Grains like biscuit generally fall here.

Other malts are kilned or roasted to a high degree. Some level of conversion may occur but generally any enzymes are destroyed quickly by the process and any sugars are burnt off. These are your roasted malts like chocolate or black malt. Roasted barley is unmalted barley that is essentially charred.

If you make beer entirely from grain, you need the bulk of the malt to contain enough enzymes to degrade the starch to sugar for the yeast to eat. When you make an extract brew, the malt extract comes from this process (which is then dehydrated and packaged for you to easily use).

To add flavour and colour to a pale brew (whether made from pale base grain or pale malt extract) you can soak certain malts in water (cold or hot works) which is known as steeping. Very little sugar is extracted in this process (crystal malts will add some), no starch is converted at all. Crystal and roasted malts are known as specialty grains and need only to be steeped. Grains like biscuit are also specialty grains but may need to be mashed with some base grains.

Thus an extract + steeping specialty grains requires no mashing to provide the yeast with the sugar it needs.

You can do a thing called a partial mash in which part of your fermentable sugar comes from mashing base grain and the rest from an addition of sugar (usually malt extract). It's what some people do if they want to get that grain flavour and learn about the processes but have small or limited equipment for mashing.

What grains have you typically been using? The process for the brewer to steep or mash can be identical (soak cracked grain in hot water, boil resulting liquor with hops) but the reactions occurring inside the grain are different.

The reason I say that it will make a difference to recipe is that you might mash 2 kg of pilsner malt but would not steep 2 kg of chocolate malt to make a single batch.

I dont mean to hijack this thread but I think it's on-topic (tell me to bugger off if not). I'm making a partial grain 150 lashes copy. The recipe is:

Coopers Pale Ale/OS draught can
1.5kg Tin Wheat Malt
200gm LDM
200gm crystal malt
5g Amarillo 5g Nelson 5g casacde @ 15 mins
5g Amarillo 5g Nelson 5g casacde @ 5 mins
15g Amarillo 15g Nelson 15g Cascade @ 0 min. steep for 30 mins
US-05

I've been reading about diastatic power of the grain and found the the crystal malt doesn't have any degree's L. Based Manticles excellent post am i too assume that this recipe is just getting some flavour from the crystal but not mashing out any of the sugars?

Could you recommend any alternative ways to advance my brew learning? Should I try to mash the crystal with a base grain with a higher degrees L?

Thanks in advance
Lincoln

No need for enzymes for crystal malt. If you re-read my post, you'll see the wet kilning converts the starch to sugar within the grain. You just need to steep in hot water to get it out.

To do a proper partial mash, you will need some base grain. The enzymes will convert the starch within that grain - you only need surplus if you add something like biscuit malt or if you add a starch containing adjunct like rice or flaked (unmalted) barley.

Mashing converts starch to sugar. Once the sugar is there, hot water will rinse it out. No need for saccharification enzymes in that regard.

Great post Manticle. I have saved it for future reference.

Thanks so much for all this info. I have done 2 lagers and a cerveza using light grains and 1 amber ale using the crystal grains. Only the 2 lagers have been consumed at this point and as I said I like the difference they make. Given my description above, am I heading in the right direction as far as steeping is concerned. Is this method adding any fermentables to the mix or just flavour?

If the light grains are pale malt or pilsner malt or somesuch then your soaking in hot water is hopefully activating enzymes and you are mashing. Fairly important that you find out what they are and the store you are buying from should be able to tell you. Your process is basically correct though.

Great info and thanks to all for the input. I am going to be buying off Craft Brewer in the future and also hope to make a trip down that way soon to look at the store and meet the folks. Thanks again for all the great information/advice.

Hey there wavemaker. I'm finding John Palmers - How to Brew really helpful. I think that guy's forgotten more things about brewing than I'll ever remember.

Latest posts

Back