Leaky Tap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inge

Reaction score
A few days ago, I racked my bitter into secondary fermenter for cold conditioning. I went to check on it just now, and noticed that the bloody tap of the fermenter had decided to leak. Not a lot, mind you - there is a slow but steady drip. Judging by the lack of mess, I'd say it's only been leaking for a day or so. Now, I know that this increases the chance of infection, and I want to minimise this.

If i was to keg tomorrow, and keep the brew at 4-5 degrees, what would be my chances of picking up an infection? It's been conditioning at 4 degrees for the last couple of days.

I only worry about this because I lost a previous brew to the same problem (leaking tap in secondary), however that was before I got a temperature controlled fridge to brew in; the secondary temperature was around 18-20, and the brew ended up puckeringly sour.

Cheers guys

I had that same probelm a while ago, but mine was leaking from the rubber washer on the tap, Like you say though it'll increase your risk of infection, if the fridge is clean and cold I reckon it'll work. My brew was just sitting on the floor and that turned out good leak and all.

Hi mate, I reckon you should be OK.

Beer is essentially a food product. As it's in secondary off the trub, and at 4-5C (as compared to 18-20C or higher) your chances of an infection taking hold is greatly reduced. Obviously, a truly nasty bacteria will ruin any beer, but as I say, I wouldn't sweat it. You'll know to fix your tap next time around.

Best of luck,
reVox

lay your fermentor back on its side so theres no liquid near the tap then fix it. its probably just a new seal it needs, or replace the whole tap. sure the trub will mix up into the brew but it will settle back down. I had to do this when I only had 1 fermentor and nothing to rack into. Beer turned out fine. much simpler than racking.

What about wrapping the tap up in glad wrap to hold the fluid in?

If it is slowly dripping out, there is not much chance of anything dripping in. Also, as the beer is now very cold, most bacteria are slowed down. This is where keggers with lots of cold storage can sometimes cope better with infections than a bottle brewer, or someone who has no cold storage.

Make sure, when you do rack using that tap, you give the spout a thorough clean and sanitise.

Or like citymorgue said, lay it on the side and swap the offending tap out.

Fridges are well known bacteria hot spots.

If it is slowly dripping out, there is not much chance of anything dripping in. Also, as the beer is now very cold, most bacteria are slowed down. This is where keggers with lots of cold storage can sometimes cope better with infections than a bottle brewer, or someone who has no cold storage.

Make sure, when you do rack using that tap, you give the spout a thorough clean and sanitise.

Or like citymorgue said, lay it on the side and swap the offending tap out.

The fridge is being kept relatively clean with a peroxide wash. I shall be racking to a keg tomorrow, and I'll clean the tap with peroxide before I connect the racking hose.

Cheers guys.

I have opened my ferm fridge after a week or two at 18deg and found mould everywhere. Even after a bleach clean. But then I met Mr/Mrs Iodphour and it's fine. At least much better. No infections though!

InCider.

I have opened my ferm fridge after a week or two at 18deg and found mould everywhere. Even after a bleach clean. But then I met Mr/Mrs Iodphour and it's fine. At least much better. No infections though!

InCider.

Actually, I'm feeling a little less stressed over this now. I placed a coffee mug underneath the tap to catch the drips. I'm losing about 300mLs every 24 hours. I tasted the 'drippings' (so to speak), and it tastes fine - a little stale, of course, but the fuggles are shining through nicely, and there doesn't seem to be a hint of infection.

My biggest concern now is losing the beer! Might prep and sanitize the kegs right now.

Actually, I'm feeling a little less stressed over this now. I placed a coffee mug underneath the tap to catch the drips. I'm losing about 300mLs every 24 hours. I tasted the 'drippings' (so to speak), and it tastes fine - a little stale, of course, but the fuggles are shining through nicely, and there doesn't seem to be a hint of infection.

My biggest concern now is losing the beer! Might prep and sanitize the kegs right now.

When my tap leaks, I tighten it to within an inch of it's (and the fermenters) life. I usually points the wrong way, but that doesn't matter until bottling or kegging day. Then I lose a bit.

Maybe you could let them finish the ferment in the kegs? I love kegs as they are easier to clean than shattered longnecks! :D

InCider.

When my tap leaks, I tighten it to within an inch of it's (and the fermenters) life. I usually points the wrong way, but that doesn't matter until bottling or kegging day. Then I lose a bit.

Maybe you could let them finish the ferment in the kegs? I love kegs as they are easier to clean than shattered longnecks! :D

InCider.

Just thinking...

If the beer is free to drip, the chance of infection would be lowered compared to turning the tap upside down and letting it pool in the faucet, no? My fermenter isn't leaking from the seal that butts against the fermenter, it's leaking from the actual faucet hole.

Also, I'm down with the keg love - bottles really are awful :D

as citymorgue said, lay you fermenter on its side so any air goes to where the tape is, take the tap out and fix her up.......you could try teflon/plumbers tape on the thread if thats where the leak is coming from......

Or as you say maybe time to rack early

Brownie

as citymorgue said, lay you fermenter on its side so any air goes to where the tape is, take the tap out and fix her up.......you could try teflon/plumbers tape on the thread if thats where the leak is coming from......

Or as you say maybe time to rack early

Brownie

Sorry, should have made it clear earlier that it's impossible for me to do this, because I am incredibly clumsy and I WILL spill beer all over the carpet. :lol:

I'll rack it tomorrow.

Back