Leaking keg: gas pipe wont seal

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_wibble

Beer Odd
Reaction score
So I had this leaking keg.

Gas was coming out underneath the gas post.
I pulled out the pipe, replaced the o-ring, re-lubed, put it back together ... still leaking.

I tried a new post ... still leaking.

I swapped the gas pipe in from another keg. Leak stops.

Thus, it must have been the gas pipe causing the leak.
(It wasn't a minor leak, the soapy water made lots of bubbles.)

But I can't see anything at all wrong with this gas post!

gas_pipe1.jpg gas_pipe2.jpg gas_pipe3.jpg

Has anyone had this before? Any ideas?
Should I replace it?

More likely to be the post but if there's anything wrong with the tube it would be the lip. Also take a look at the bulkhead on the keg :)

Get a replacement for the O-Ring, it seals inside against the short diptube, and on the outside against the internal of the keg post.
Rolling it down and taking a couple of turns of PTFE plumbing tape around the dip tube then rolling the O-Ring back up over the Teflon tape. use a little lube and reassemble.
Not as good a fix as replacing the O-Ring but it will get you out of trouble.
Mark

I swapped the gas pipe in from another keg. Leak stops.
Did you change/replace the o ring on this gas pipe when you took it from from the other keg ?

If not it could be the original o ring started leaking on the other pipe and the one you replaced it with was either faulty or too small/thin.

Try using the o ring from the gas pipe that didn't leak on the pipe that did and see what happens.

Edit: What I mean is I think the new o rings you are using may not be the right size. Try using the o ring from the gas pipe that didn't leak on the pipe that did to see if it seals.

Last edited:
Or try putting two o rings on the gas pipe that leaked and see if that seals it.

Thanks for the replies.

The o-ring is new-ish, it could even be new from the packet.
I will try a couple of the suggestions and follow-up.
(maybe it's just that o-ring)

As far as I know the o-rings are the correct size. They are all working fine in the other kegs - after finding this leak I went over every connection in the system with the soapy-sprayer.

cheers,
-kt

Latest posts

Back