Leaking issue with Andale font

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bullyhc

Reaction score
Hi all,
Apologies if this has been covered in another thread, but I have an issue with a "font to tap" adapter not sealing off when the tap has been removed for cleaning. I didn't get a photo, but I can take one if needed. So from what I can tell, there is an issue with a spring (not sure if there is one or it's just a compression-type deal) behind the metal part that actually seals the beer off when the tap has been removed. I'm not sure what it is called, but it's the bit inside the fitting that the tap pushes back to let the beer flow to the tap, not the outside ring that holds the tap on. It moves quite easily when pressed (it does move back, but not to the point where it would seal), whereas the other taps I have that don't have this problem don't move without a lot of effort. I can physically see that it is not in the correct position when I compare it to the others, it appears to be quite a bit back from where it should be.

The fonts (I have been told) have 5/8 Snaplok adapters, they look similar to the pic below (credit to Tony's awesome thread on rebuilding Andale fonts where I pinched this pic from http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/64938-rebuilding-a-font/ ), only from about where the little hole in the side is right back to the font is another part that sits over the top. There is an allen key screw that holds it in place, but when I try to undo it, the part that looks like the pic below will only come out about an inch from the bit over it. Not sure if that's normal, or if I should muscle it out, but I'm sure my boss will be majorly pissed off if I break it.

According to our cellarman, this issue can't be fixed, but I'm not so sure. Especially when I look at threads like the one I posted above. Any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated!

Oh, and I should have mentioned that this is for a commercial setup, but my boss doesn't want to make a service call for some strange reason.

Sorry for the confusing details, I'm not 100% sure what I'm talking about, just in case you hadn't already guessed!

pushlocfix4.jpg

Latest posts

Back