Leaking Gas Post

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greeno

Reaction score
I have a leaking gas post, the keg is full of beer.. Will the beer be ok? or will it go off?

i can put enough presure in the keg, but over a couple hours it leaks out..

Will the beer be ok until i finish the keg to have the post looked at?

it should be fine. you'll just waste a lot of gas. check your seals on the post. it may be as simple as changing a $0.50 o-ring.

I wouldn't worry about it. 90% of my gas posts leak (I have replaced everything on them except the actual post itself). I thought I would be in for dramas but none yet. When you apply that first shot of gas to purge the headspace, put it where ever you plan on storing it and don't move it. My theory is that there will still be a layer of co2 in there because it's heavier than o2, so if you just leave it alone till you need to tap it, there'll be no contact with oxygen.

it should be fine. you'll just waste a lot of gas. check your seals on the post. it may be as simple as changing a $0.50 o-ring.

Its a brand new seal.. and it leaks when the disconnect is not there as well as when it is there..

its a pinlock and doesnt seem like it would be easy to remove..

The keg is a old Reem coke keg.

Cheers,

Jamie

You might have a leak in the disconnect as well, can you try another one? Or maybe take the disconnect appart and check that there's a seal in it, also I had a hairline crack in one of my beer disconnects, could be the same with your gas one.

Have you changed the poppet seal? If not give that a crack, just get youself some CIP-film/lube first, you'll have buckleys getting the new one on without a bit of lube.

Stating the obvious i know, but if it's leaking while the post is on and off, then your going to be wasting gas. Your beer won't go stale, as HB79 mentioned there will be a blanket of C02 protecting it. However your gas supply will dwindle while this keg is on line.

My suggestion is to get the boys around, drink the keg quick, then replace the post, it shouldn't be too difficult.

Cheers SJ

Stating the obvious i know, but if it's leaking while the post is on and off, then your going to be wasting gas. Your beer won't go stale, as HB79 mentioned there will be a blanket of C02 protecting it. However your gas supply will dwindle while this keg is on line.

My suggestion is to get the boys around, drink the keg quick, then replace the post, it shouldn't be too difficult.

Cheers SJ

I like you thinking... Thanks mate.

Just need to get a beer disconnect first... :(

Beer is fine with just the blanket of gas over it.

Do you know exactly where the gas is coming out from - charge it with gas, take the disconnect off and spray it with a solution of dishwashing liquid and water. This will show exactly where it's coming from.

If it's the poppet then take the post off and try to get the poppet to seat correctly, you can buy a new seal for it or a new poppet if you want. If it's out the base then the post may not be on tight enough or the o-ring isn't providing the seal it designed to do.

Check the lid, relief valve (source of most of my leaks) and the beer post.

Beer is fine with just the blanket of gas over it.

Do you know exactly where the gas is coming out from -

Its def the gas post right at the top, so i guess the post needs to come off so that i can try and fix the poppet.. however that doesn not look like an easy task..

Rather than start a new thread for the same problem, I'll join in here (hmmm... been a while since I posted a beer question!);

I've just filled my last empty keg, and wouldn't-ya-know-it, it looks like the gas post leaks, but only when the QD is off. It's a second-hand corny, and I was told that it was pressure tested (purchased from a reputable source). The leak seems to be coming from the top of the gas post (not sure of the name of this part... poppet?) and only makes noise with the QD off.

My question: is this a problem? As long as the QD is connected, and I don't hear any noise, I should have positive pressure into the keg, and shouldn't lose any excess gas... right? I'd rather not mess around with the post now that the beer is in the keg (mmm... Planet of the Grapes - cheers Katie!). I can fix whatever needs fixing once the keg is empty (won't take too long).

Hi Quantumbrewer,
That sounds right. The post has an extra O-Ring that seals against the disconnect when it is attached to the post, so it should be OK.

Just on the same question line. I am having troble with a Poppet as well, again on the gas line. I took out the poppet and cleaned it and replaced it as the seal looked OK. But once re installed and I tested it, when I press the poppet down it seems to not pop back up tightly into place and is clearly not sealing? It looks liek the rubber seal on the top edge of the popet is getting stuck inside the post? Should these be lubricated?

Thanks Fear_n_loath

Guys,

Had same problem here, I replaced all the older looking poppets and replaced with the yellow colour poppets, they are a little longer and a better seal also... Use a bit of lube on them aswell.... ;)

CB

Yeh, thanks CB. My Keg has the yellow poppet as well. It must just need a bit of lube.

Fear_n_loath

I am an ex fitter and turner and if your have a post leaking at the thread your could try a number of things in this order.

1. Replace the o-ring (already stated)

2. Replace the o-ring and then use some plumbers teflon tape on the thread. Hold the post in your left hand, hold the end of the tape on the thread with your left thumb and wrap the tape around the thread about 5 - 6 times firmly then pull tight to break it off. Screw the post back in. Should do the Job. It should be quite firm to screw back in. NOT OVER TIGHT! (cheap and very effective)

3. Visit a engineering supply store and try to buy some food grade thread sealant, EG: (loctite may make a product.)

My best bet would be to go with the teflon tape as you can get it from Bunnings for about stuff all. Note: if your don't use enough it will still leak, if you use too much the post will be too tight to screw back in.

Cheers

Funkym

yeah I sometimes get leaky poppets, I just like press it with my thumbnail and move it around and it usually seats fine on the first go and stops leaking. Make sure theyre lubed. My keg of sfpa has a leaky poppet on the beer post though which is a pain, because I disconnect it and it leaks beer not gas, way more valuable :p. No worries tho really, I don't plan on disconnecting that tap much before It's finished haha.

Back