Lazy Yak - has anyone managed a good imitation?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quokka42

Reaction score
I'm not a hopster, but a customer offered me a beer on my last job and it was a Lazy Yak. Mid strength, a real nice bite from the Citra, then lingering wine-like notes from the Nelson Sauvin. A peek on their website says it is bittered with Cascade to 14 IBU, then late additions of Citra and Nelson Sauvin. I figure a malt bill of traditional ale with Nottingham should cover that part.

Would more experienced hopsters think my judgement of a 30 minute boil of the Cascade to 14 IBU then a half ounce each of Citra and Nelson Sauvin whirlpool be enough? I don't want a gay fruit punch effect, but I bought a six pack of the Lazy Yak and think it is spot on for a session ale (or mild, or mid.)

I'm ready for the usual tossers to comment about big brewery beers, but surely there are some out there can share real experience?

Last edited:
Was I too rude, or does no-one have any idea?

I've put down a trial today - 1/2 oz of each, Cascade at 30 minutes, the other two once whirlpool dropped below 64C, then let stand 30 minutes, and I'll add another 1.2oz of the two dry hop. See how it goes.

Last edited:
16gt1t.jpg
everyone has their own tastes in beer..to each his/her own...

Wow. No value added, no opinion, just an aggressive response. Why?

Wow. No value added, no opinion, just a troll of a response. Why? Did you completely ignore the 'aggressive' speech in the OP or do you just like trying to stir shit? You were right on one thing though, so to appease you and to successfully complete this counseling session let me be the first to add value to this thread then.

OP i personally don't see the point in adding your bittering hops at 30 min. Better off at start of boil and use less hops for same result.

The amount of whirlpool hops you used may cause a 'gay fruit punch effect' especially if combined with a dry hop. Maybe give it a taste after fermentation before adding a dry hop or it may turn you into a 'tosser.' I would hate for you to tip out a perfectly good batch of beer because it's too 'gay.'
Once again good luck in your replication of this shitty beer.

I'm not a hopster, but a customer offered me a beer on my last job and it was a Lazy Yak. Mid strength, a real nice bite from the Citra, then lingering wine-like notes from the Nelson Sauvin. A peek on their website says it is bittered with Cascade to 14 IBU, then late additions of Citra and Nelson Sauvin. I figure a malt bill of traditional ale with Nottingham should cover that part.

Would more experienced hopsters think my judgement of a 30 minute boil of the Cascade to 14 IBU then a half ounce each of Citra and Nelson Sauvin whirlpool be enough? I don't want a gay fruit punch effect, but I bought a six pack of the Lazy Yak and think it is spot on for a session ale (or mild, or mid.)

I'm ready for the usual tossers to comment about big brewery beers, but surely there are some out there can share real experience?
I don't know any home brewer who would comment re the "qualities" of big brewery beers.
And as there are no tossers in this forum, you'll be lucky to get a reply.

No such thing as a bad beer its just some are better than others
Having said that never tried Lazy Yak but sounds like you have good judgement in your description
If you want the bitterness 60 min
30 min for flavour
Very late additions for aroma
Trial and error please give us your feed back once you nail it

There's also a Wild Yak. It's a Pacific Ale. It's about 4.2% and 18IBU.
There is a clone recipe for that on Beersmith.
That one is 5.6% and 18IBU so it's not balanced the same as the original.
For a dinner beer, the original isn't that bad. A bit tutti frutti. Be good with fish.

50g each of Cascade and Galaxy at 10minutes and dry hop with 50g Melba.
With such a low IBU late hopping will be the only option.
I don't see a recipe for Lazy Yak though.

I was lucky enough to have have a holiday on a remote island of the coast of Queensland and Pacific Ale (CUB) was all they had on tap. I must say I was impressed with how well it presented considering where I was and how fresh it tasted. And just to throw a log on the fire, pretty much every CUB beer is extremely well made. Whether you like the taste of it or not, that's a different question.

I've tried it but I couldn't taste anything other than a light malt flavor and a bit of bitterness to balance it. Pretty bland beer really, but I've probably had too many big hoppy ales.

I've tried more since then and in the stubbie the hop character is inconsistent, I think because of variation in freshness.

There's also a Wild Yak. It's a Pacific Ale. It's about 4.2% and 18IBU.
There is a clone recipe for that on Beersmith.
That one is 5.6% and 18IBU so it's not balanced the same as the original.
For a dinner beer, the original isn't that bad. A bit tutti frutti. Be good with fish.

50g each of Cascade and Galaxy at 10minutes and dry hop with 50g Melba.
With such a low IBU late hopping will be the only option.
I don't see a recipe for Lazy Yak though.

The only thing they had on tap (that I thought I could drink) when I dropped into a bar after a wedding the other night was the Wild Yak, and while I admit I had been drinking wine and a pretty average imported commercial beer for a number of hours, I really enjoyed it. Someone bought me a good single malt which was great, so I think my taste buds were still working a little. I was one of those "anything with galaxy tastes a bit like Passiona" guys before that.

I might try your suggestion this weekend, as I usually make and drink about the regular ale level, and I am too old to be locked into silly prejudices.

I misread that recipe. It's 50g each of Cascade and Galaxy steep/whirlpool for 10 minutes. No hops in the boil at all.50g Melba dry hopped.

And this was the grain bill for a 24L batch.:
4.00 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (5.9 EBC) Grain 1 66.1 %
1.80 kg Wheat Malt, Ger (3.9 EBC) Grain 2 29.7 %
0.25 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (3.9 EBC) Grain 3 4.2 %

I misread that recipe. It's 50g each of Cascade and Galaxy steep/whirlpool for 10 minutes. No hops in the boil at all.50g Melba dry hopped.

And this was the grain bill for a 24L batch.:
4.00 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (5.9 EBC) Grain 1 66.1 %
1.80 kg Wheat Malt, Ger (3.9 EBC) Grain 2 29.7 %
0.25 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (3.9 EBC) Grain 3 4.2 %

Still sounds good, but I suspect a little more than they used.

Sorry if my early posts offended anyone - in my day gay meant "happy, bright, fruity..."

So, in the end I fell ill and didn't add any dry hops. But I did a "whirlpool addition" by adding them when the wort dropped to 64C and there is certainly no lack of aroma. I'm going to do a second attempt tomorrow, but a slight increase in the flavour/aroma hops, and add half for a 10 minute boil, the rest whirlpool at 64C. A little more of the deeper flavours will be better, but the "hoppiness" is about right for a beer this strength. I am also going to add a little crystal - they say they only use pale malt, but mine came out with a Pilsner-like quality.

BTW - even at this low ABV, pulls a good 1/2" of head and leaves lots of lacing on the glass.

My latest I probably added too much "Heritage Crystal," and it probably won't be aromatic enough for the hopsters, but later tastings suggest it will approach the balance I am looking for.

I know it seems strange for this time of year, but we are getting lots of sun and my job is quite physical - so I am currently enjoying a pint or two of version 1 and/or a "NEIPA."

The "clone;" I'd like a little more bitterness, citra bite and more romantic Suavin, the "NEIPA" is near perfect (especially for an accidental brew) but isn't very bitter and has a faint "orange peel" aftertaste.