Late & Dry Hopping.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lindsay Dive

Reaction score
Good Morning All,

I think of this every time I place some very late hops into the boil or especially when I'm dry hopping.
How do you know that the oast-house cat/dog/possum/mouse/rat/horse/donkey/human has not been pi55ing on your beloved hops prior to them being packaged for you?
I guess there is a lot less chance of having contaminated hops if you are using pellets or plugs, but then again, I have no idea how the hops are stored prior to packaging. Also, how do you know how clean the people are that are handling these precious hops.
Is there any way that hops can be 'cleaned' prior to use without buggering the alpha acids amongst other things?
Please put my mind at ease.

Regards,
Lindsay.

I don't know too much about hops but i worked in the vineyards for a year or so and if it's anything to go by then you can bet your bottom dollar that there are all sorts of bugs, grubs, spiders, birds, bird nests, snakes, moths, lizards etc all over the vines. If the hops smell good, and work in your brew then i wouldn't worry about it mate.
Just think of all the processing and handling that goes on for the normal foods and beverages you eat and drink daily. Just not worth thinking about really. Ignorance is bliss.

someone else can tell you about the AA

I don't know too much about hops but i worked in the vineyards for a year or so and if it's anything to go by then you can bet your bottom dollar that there are all sorts of bugs, grubs, spiders, birds, bird nests, snakes, moths, lizards etc all over the vines. If the hops smell good, and work in your brew then i wouldn't worry about it mate.
Just think of all the processing and handling that goes on for the normal foods and beverages you eat and drink daily. Just not worth thinking about really. Ignorance is bliss.

someone else can tell you about the AA

Birds Nest Stout!

Ah ah.... Blue Tongue Brewery, Little Creatures, Red Back...okay, point taken.

Regards,
Lindsay.

Good Morning All,

I think of this every time I place some very late hops into the boil or especially when I'm dry hopping.
How do you know that the oast-house cat/dog/possum/mouse/rat/horse/donkey/human has not been pi55ing on your beloved hops prior to them being packaged for you?
I guess there is a lot less chance of having contaminated hops if you are using pellets or plugs, but then again, I have no idea how the hops are stored prior to packaging. Also, how do you know how clean the people are that are handling these precious hops.
Is there any way that hops can be 'cleaned' prior to use without buggering the alpha acids amongst other things?
Please put my mind at ease.

Regards,
Lindsay.

Lindsay ,

Some wineries still crush their grapes with people treading on the grapes with their bare feet , warts blisters cuts ,veruoques , dirty toenails One hates to think , but then if you saw what happens in the restuarants and fast food outlets you would not eat much of the food served .

What you dont know you dont have to worrry about .

Pumpy :unsure:

Hey Pumpy

I agree untill the shit hits the fan

Cheers Altstart

Hi Lindsay,

Grab a hop cone and chew it up.
Hops are antibacterial and viruses only suvive as long as their host cell.
hope this helps.

Hi Lindsay,

Grab a hop cone and chew it up.
Hops are antibacterial and viruses only suvive as long as their host cell.
hope this helps.

I am suffering from the dreaded lurgy as we speak, so it appears I should be chewing hops instead of drinking it! :)

Latest posts

Back