Last third of keg pouring foam

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Linford

Reaction score
Hi All,

Have brewed 8 AG brews and loving the product but am experiencing foam problems with the last third of the keg sometimes. My routine is to carb at 250kpa for 24 hours and then back to pouring pressure of 90-100kpa.

If I get through the kegs quick, I have no problems and my system appears balanced and pours beautifully. For the kegs that remain on tap for 3 weeks or more, the last third pours a lot of foam and I am wasting the good stuff. I have chilled lines all the way to the tap and like I said, the system pours a beautiful beer nearly all of the time.

Now I think the source of my problem is as the level in the keg gets lower, more CO2 is absorbed resulting in over carbed beer. My question is how to fix it? Or more likely prevent it. Do I need to adjust pouring pressure as the keg gets lower? Vent the kegs as the level drops?

I know drinking it faster is a solution which is never a problem if the boys drop in, but if they don't, and I'm having a quiet couple of weeks, I want to be able to pour a good pint when I get back to it.

Thanks in advance.

Rgds

Linford

level of liquid in the keg sound have an effect as its under the same pressure plus
90-100 sounds high to me. im using 40-60 to pour and dont have a problem.
try a lower pressure for a keg and see how it goes.

90-100 sounds high to me as well.

What length / diameter are your beer lines?

250kpa for 24 hours is a lot less CO2 in solution than a pouring pressure of 90-100kpa will achieve. I'd drop the pouring pressure to 70 and see how you go, then if it still happens try lower.

Thanks all. I think you are right. I vented the keg a few times and took it off the gas for a couple of days. Back on at 70 pouring pressure for a couple of days and all good. Happy days.

Back