Larger Not Fermenting

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAD

Reaction score
Hi all this is my first post on this web site not seue if i am in the right section. I have put down a Bavarian larger from an ESB kit 2 days ago and it still hasnt started fermenting it dosnt even look like starting. The yeast i used is PRO-26 German octoberfest liquid yeast, the optimum brewing tempreature says on the bottle 11-14deg c my fridge is set at 12 deg C does anyone have any suggestions should i raise the temp untill it starts to ferment and then lowwer it? The can said to ferment it at 20 - 25.

Thanks Anthony

why do you say its not fermenting. firstthing to do is a hydro reading and see if there has been a gravity drop. if yes then fementation is on the way,other wise did you make a starter with the yeast. a lager needs a lot more yeast to start with than an ale and if you pitched straight into the wort it may take a couple of days to get going. on experiance with the proculture yeasts they are healthier than the imported products so i wouldnt start to stress just yet.

cheers dwayne

just had a look on mr malty and asuming fresh yeast and a sg of 1050 the starter required would be 7 litres in a simple starter or 4.7 litres on a stirplate so it could take a while to kick off without one.

Hi mate,
I didnt use a starter by the sounds of it is should off, Ive never used one before might do some more research and do it on my next brew. Might sit tight and see how she goes for the next couple of days. Last brew i did at this tempreature took 3 weels to finish fermenting. Thanks for your info
Anthony

Back