Larger Fermentation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikelinz

Reaction score
Sorry guys can't find the answer. I have read some where that once you have had your larger at fermentation temp you increase the temp for a few days prior to bottling kegging. My larger has been at 11c for 3-4 weeks and is now down to 1.012 (OG 1.050) What do i do now - just keg it or what.

rgds mike

Hey Mate,

1.050 isn't that large ;)

draw off a sample and have a taste, if it doesnt taste like butterscotch then your in the clear keg away!

Rob.

Hey Mate,

1.050 isn't that large ;)

draw off a sample and have a taste, if it doesnt taste like butterscotch then your in the clear keg away!

Rob.

Hey Rob. Better to draw off a sample, warm and aerate it, if it doesnt taste like buttescotch keg away.

The precursor to diacetyl (alpha acetolactate) cant be tasted, but if it is there, it can turn into diacetyl very rapidly, so it is possible and not that unusual for a beer that tastes fine in the fermenter to turn up with diacetyl in the keg or bottle.

Thanks for clarifying that for me GL, lagers aren't really my forte tho i have been trying hard lately to produce a palatable one.

i have a new found respect for lager brewers since i've been living in the churn and burn ale world for so long.

You should know what Diacetyl is all about though Rob :p

If it has diacetyl there's probably not a whole lot more that can be done about it at this point, unless you add more fresh wort and krusen it, (and that would make it a little bit larger!)

Probably wont be a problem though, you have given it a nice good long time to finish up. They yeast don't need warmer temperatures to re-absorb the diacetyl pre-cursors, they just do it a lot faster at the warmer temps. So if you want to hurry up and finish... then up the temp by a few degrees for a day or two. If you are happy giving it 4 weeks in primary, then most likely the yeast have done the job fully in the first place.

TB

Probably wont be a problem though, you have given it a nice good long time to finish up. They yeast don't need warmer temperatures to re-absorb the diacetyl pre-cursors, they just do it a lot faster at the warmer temps. So if you want to hurry up and finish... then up the temp by a few degrees for a day or two. If you are happy giving it 4 weeks in primary, then most likely the yeast have done the job fully in the first place.

TB
I have to agree here. Depends on how long you're prepared to leave the beer in the cold. Either move it up to 14 or 15 for a couple of days or leave it cold for longer.

Mike, what in the name of rice gulls is a larger? Oh, I just checked and see that you're a Mexican. :lol:
In other states we call them lagers. No extra "r". It's a German word, you know.Dictionary

Apologies if you take offence to my rant. I am generally a pedantic speller, and you just pushed my button. <_<

Les - Correcting your grammar and spelling since the early 70's (when I old enough to be a smart-arse to teachers, who for some reason, didn't appreciate it. Go figure!) :rolleyes:

Les - Correcting your grammar and spelling since the early 70's (when I was old enough to be a smart-arse to teachers, who for some reason, didn't appreciate it. Go figure!) :rolleyes:

Arrogant and pedantic? ;)

Latest posts

Back