Lambic Autalisis

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmolou

Reaction score
i recnetly made not exactly a kriek lambic but something similiar

It was something along the lines of 12litre batch
1.5kg wheat liquid
200grams brown sugar
200grams cane sugar
25grams tettnanger hops (boiled then drained the liquid into a container and just dry hopped the hop with hopefully no bitterness)

Pitched onto a AbbeyII yeast cake

then racked onto 300grams black cherries from jar at supermarket preservative free and all that, with belle vue kriek dregs, my saison dregs, saison dupont cork and left open for 1 day under the house for wild yeast

Now imy question is since i racked only after 4 days (bubbler activity finished) and i had alot of yeast in my fermentor iv noticed about a centermeter or two of yeast trub in my secondry fermentor i plan on aging for at least 5 months i'm going oversea's

should i rack this again to get off the trub or do lambics not develop autalisis?

Any advice guys first time racking first lambic/wild yeast
actually had a taste of a bottle of it without the cherries added as my racking cube filled up and still had some left and tasted like a white wine

1.5kg wheat liquid
200grams brown sugar
200grams cane sugar
25grams tettnanger hops (boiled then drained the liquid into a container and just dry hopped the hop with hopefully no bitterness)

Pitched onto a AbbeyII yeast cake

then racked onto 300grams black cherries from jar at supermarket preservative free and all that, with belle vue kriek dregs, my saison dregs, saison dupont cork and left open for 1 day under the house for wild yeast

Now imy question is since i racked only after 4 days (bubbler activity finished) and i had alot of yeast in my fermentor iv noticed about a centermeter or two of yeast trub in my secondry fermentor i plan on aging for at least 5 months i'm going oversea's

should i rack this again to get off the trub or do lambics not develop autalisis?

Any advice guys first time racking first lambic/wild yeast
actually had a taste of a bottle of it without the cherries added as my racking cube filled up and still had some left and tasted like a white wine

Most lambics sit on the yeast trub for an extended period, as a lot of flavour development comes from the sitting on the autolyzing yeast for an extended period. The autolysing yeast is needed to provide nutrients(specifically B vitamins and amino acids) for the bacteria.

If you want to rack you probably won't get as much flavour development.

I'd leave it

Q

1.5kg wheat liquid
200grams brown sugar
200grams cane sugar

What is wheat liquid, this is gonna be a fairly light winey brew, without any malt base.

you have to be careful with the hops, by boiling and discarding the water you may have stripped the oils from the hop, thus removing the anti-oxidants and therefore its preservative effect.

Q

What is wheat liquid, this is gonna be a fairly light winey brew, without any malt base.

you have to be careful with the hops, by boiling and discarding the water you may have stripped the oils from the hop, thus removing the anti-oxidants and therefore its preservative effect.

Q

hmmn i knew that boiling method was too easy campared to aging hops for years haha but hey whats done is done
is the preservative effect essential, as i could steep some anti-oxidant rich tea to get some

1.5kg coopers wheat liquid malt (was just lazy)

keeping it on the cake sounds easier and better so thats solved

but wouldnt mind some advice on that preservative idea

hmmn i knew that boiling method was too easy campared to aging hops for years haha but hey whats done is done
is the preservative effect essential, as i could steep some anti-oxidant rich tea to get some

1.5kg coopers wheat liquid malt (was just lazy)

keeping it on the cake sounds easier and better so thats solved

but wouldnt mind some advice on that preservative idea

maybe dry hop with 25g? it won't add bitterness as heat is needed to isomerise the alpha acids.
some people have oven cooked hops on the lowest heat for 3 hrs which "de-bitters" them.

Q

Latest posts

Back