Lallemand Philly Sour yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made a raspberry berliner weisse, the KegLand recipe, it was absurdly good.

@duncbrewer did you end up using it? I bought 4 packets recently to make sours, I'll use starters from now on.

Also - consider using Philly Sour in ciders. Pitch it after primary is nearly complete and jack the temp up to nearly 30c. I made a Mangrove Jacks raspberry cider, only Philly Sour saved it. My mates loved it, will make again.

I made a raspberry berliner weisse, the KegLand recipe, it was absurdly good.

@duncbrewer did you end up using it? I bought 4 packets recently to make sours, I'll use starters from now on.

Also - consider using Philly Sour in ciders. Pitch it after primary is nearly complete and jack the temp up to nearly 30c. I made a Mangrove Jacks raspberry cider, only Philly Sour saved it. My mates loved it, will make again.
Yes I did use the Philly sour, I used it to sour a sour IPA a clone of a Mitch Steele recipe Straight from the Tart. First 4 days at 28 celsius and then when pH had dropped to 3.6 I pitched in some opshaug kveik and bumped the temp up to 30. Certainly came out sour, cleared spectacularly fast but I didn't really capture the dry hop aromas that it should have had. Nearly finished the keg now. I've got another packet to use and will probably use it for a more traditional sour beer than my Sour IPA effort.
I made a Mangrove Jacks elderflower cider that was very underwhelming even with only a small amount of the sweetener added it was too sweet and lacked the aroma of the elderflower more like medicine than beverage. I wouldn't want to waste a packet of philly sour on that at all.
Have turned on Watch so I won't miss developments on this thread.

Yes I did use the Philly sour, I used it to sour a sour IPA a clone of a Mitch Steele recipe Straight from the Tart. First 4 days at 28 celsius and then when pH had dropped to 3.6 I pitched in some opshaug kveik and bumped the temp up to 30. Certainly came out sour, cleared spectacularly fast but I didn't really capture the dry hop aromas that it should have had. Nearly finished the keg now. I've got another packet to use and will probably use it for a more traditional sour beer than my Sour IPA effort.
I made a Mangrove Jacks elderflower cider that was very underwhelming even with only a small amount of the sweetener added it was too sweet and lacked the aroma of the elderflower more like medicine than beverage. I wouldn't want to waste a packet of philly sour on that at all.
Have turned on Watch so I won't miss developments on this thread.
Definitely consider dropping the sweetener and add the yeast. I added the sweetener and hated the flavour, so glad I accidentally cross contaminated with philly because it saved it from going straight down the drain.

Those mangrove jack kits are way too expensive for what you get.

Agreed price is high, usability low I took off the top carefully to read the paper instructions and found this was pretty much impossible to do without opening the juice bag. The premium stout was dire as well ( bought as a first lockdown panic buy as no grains available) .
I preferred the black rock straight cider kit, I left it for months in primary and then decanted to an allrounder keg , primed it and it carbed up after a few weeks and was great. I was told by a brewshop owner that as it was totally clear when I transferred there was no yeast in it and so it wouldn't carb up. As we know clear beer has yeast in it, I think MHB gave some figures somewhere for the quantities in clear beer. I wouldn' t buy another mangrove jack kit, but have found someone who likes the bottled stout so that's a bonus rather than tipping it.

Latest posts

Back