Lagering

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbasten

Reaction score
Hi,

I am planing on doing a Bock in the next couple of weekends and i am going to larger it. My questions is do i bottle the beer and larger, do I larger the fermenter then bottle? If i larger in the fermenter, does that mean to prime the bottles i need to bring it up to room temp to carbonate as i will be bottling and not kegging?

Cheers/

Traditional way is to lager, then bottle, bring to carb temps, then drink or chill again.

Some people here do opposite (bottle - then lager). Myself, I have no idea what the advanatge of doing it that way is but if you go down that path (which will still work) you will need to bring the bottles back to carb temps afterwards and leave till carbed at that temp.

Larger = bigger
lager = cold storage.

Some people here do opposite (bottle - then lager). Myself, I have no idea what the advanatge
I lager in bottles after they've carbonated. The disadvantage is that once the chill haze forms and settles out it's still in your bottles. When you pour your beers you'll want to make sure you leave it behind, something you probably already do to leave your bottle yeast behind. Plus if you store your bottles warm it could dissolve back into the beer and see you end up with chill haze again.
The advantage I get from lagering in bottles is that the yeast activity happens in one block, there's never any worry weather you'll have enough yeast left to carb because you're doing it straight after primary. It also frees up your fermenter to make more beer.

Here's how I do it...2 weeks primary - 2 weeks in bottles at ferment temps - 3 days crash chill to -1C - at least 10 days lagering at 4C

Some say there's benefits to lagering in bulk, I have no details about that.

Back