Lager Yeasts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quigley

Reaction score
Hi folks...

Saflager S-23 or w-34/70?

Can anyone suggest the better yeast for me to make a european style lager with?

On a slightly different yeast related matter........ I have a lot of kit yeasts, from Black Rock, Muntons Gold, Coopers etc...... Should I throw these out, or use them just to get rid of them? I have never used the kit yeast before... always been US-56 Ale yeasts... so why should I just go on collecting the kit yeasts??

Thanks
Mike :beer:

You can use up your kit yeasts in some biscuits for the dog, supposedly keeps the fleas away ;)

W34/70 is a good lager yeast, i think it's better than S-23 but people say they've got good results from it, then others say S-189 leaves both of them for dead

W34/70 is used in a lot of Euro beers, both dry and in liquid form. The "W" is from Weihenstephan University, where there is a brew school and they have a great yeast bank.

I find S23 a little fruity, but didn't give it a second go after the fruitiness I got the first time.

I assume you're talking about using dry lager yeasts.
If you want liquid yeast, you might be able to talk with a local brewery, or homebrewer/yeast rancher.

Seth :p

You can use up your kit yeasts in some biscuits for the dog, supposedly keeps the fleas away ;)

On topic, i like the 34/70, but i have got a pack of CraftBrewer - Swiss Lager that i have not had a chance to use yet, good for Pils apparently.

Sorry to hijack, but DJR that is a great idea. Do you have a recipe?

Cheers
DK

Sorry to hijack, but DJR that is a great idea. Do you have a recipe?

Try this ( from http://gourmetsleuth.com/recipe_dogbiscuit.htm )

Makes about 5 dozen bone biscuits
1 cup flour
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/4 cup brewers yeast (available at health-food stores)
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
1 clove garlic, chopped medium, or 1 teaspoon powdered garlic (optional**)
1/2 cup chicken stock plus 3 tablespoons for basting

1. Heat oven to 400 degrees. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Mix flour, wheat germ, brewers yeast, and salt together in a medium bowl. In a mixing bowl, combine oil and garlic. Alternately add 1/2 cup chicken stock and flour mixture in 3 parts; mix until well combined. Knead about 2 minutes by hand on floured surface; dough will be sticky.

2. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough out about 3/8 inch thick. Cut out bone shapes; place on prepared baking sheet. Bake 10 minutes, rotate baking sheet, and baste with remaining 3 tablespoons chicken stock. Bake 10 minutes longer. Turn off oven, leaving oven door closed. Leave pan in oven for 1 1/2 hours longer

Personally the recipe i use is just flour, yeast, oil, beef stock, salt and that's about it, makes a "hard" biscuit type thing that the dogs love. I leave the garlic out because my dog's breath is bad enough

I used coopers yeast to make pizza dough the other day. Work well. The wife and kids did not notice any real difference but it tasted fine. If you use TANDACO yeast to bake, you will taste the difference. If you use Defience, it is much the same.

Back