Lager Yeast At High Temps

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hugo

Reaction score
Brewed my first serious lager this season using W2278 (Czech Pilsner), but due to delays and an unseasonably warm August, temp in my brewshed was above the standard 10 degrees when I pitched. Hovered around 14 degrees for a week or so and activity was slow but constant, and then ambient temp picked up even further and the fermenter started to reach 16-18 degrees. Fermentation picked up pace significantly and most has occurred in this temp range or even a bit higher. 4 weeks on and it's only just stopped.

I know I probably shouldn't try and brew lagers without a fridge to control temp, but usually our cold winters make it quite stable well into September.

Any thoughts on what I should expect in terms of flavour profile? I'm pretty sure it's not going to be the classic pilsner I was aiming for. I can give it a few days in a beer fridge at 3-4 degrees to chill, but I think that's about my only trick left.

cheers

Good Day
It might have some esters/fruity character. It depends how much fermentation occurred at the higher temps. It might be a bit alelike overall. If it was really high temp at some stage it could have green apple aroma and flavour. Taste a sample and see.

If your pitching rate was adequate then the only difference will be a beer with more fruity esters than 'normal'.
Beer can't be altered or redeemed now but it won't be knackered.

tdh

What to expect? Lager that is too fruity is a distinct possibility. I have no electronic temp control for this temp range (have a cc/lagering fridge though for 2-ish degrees) either but you need to be inventive. Every time you buy any liquid in a 1 or 2 litre resealable plastic bottle (juice, vinegar etc) , save it, fill it with water and put it in your freezer. Laundry tub full of cold water, all the botttles you have - instant primary ferment temps for lagers. Take them out at night to refreeze, plonk them in again in the morning. I chill my wort this way too - takes about 30-60 mins to drop to pitching temp.

Above 10 is ok - I'd even take a wild stab that up to 14 won't hurt too much as long as you lager properly afterwards but I wouldn't go higher. You will still have beer though.

Back