Lager Questions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trawny

Reaction score
I have a few question about my lager I just started brewing.

Can- Morgans Blue Moutain Lager
Brewcraft Beer Kit Converer #40 Australian Lager
Golden Cluster Hops - Boiled for 1 minute
Yeast - Saflager w-34/70

Yeast pitched at 16 degrees wort currently at 11degrees. Drops to 10 overnight.

Is the temp too low?
When I bottle do I have to keep the bottles warmer say around 18degrees to finish them off properly?

Does boiling the hops for 1 minute just add aromas?

Thanks in advance

Trawny

10C is an ideal temperature to ferment a lager. If you can pitch at that temp or 2 degrees cooler then your resulting beer will be all the better for it - cleaner, less esters and phenols...off flavours.

It's worth making a starter to grow your yeast so your brew doesn't lag too long before the yeast takes hold. It helps protect against infection.

Once in bottles keep the temp at least 10C. Above 10C is fine (even 20) because of the small amount of sugar the yeast is eating won't create off flavours, but below 10 will take longer to carb.

EDIT: Normal practice is to raise the temp at the end of fermentaion (12-14C) - this helps the yeast clean up some of the crap they produced when they were multiplying (and you pitched warm so they definately produced some). If you can't raise the temp then just leave it in the fermenter longer. Don't be afraid to leave a lager for 3 weeks before chilling or bottling.

I've got a lager going at the moment with that same yeast. Mine has been below 10 degrees, i think its at about 8. It has taken a bit longer to ferment - its been three weeks now and its just about done - but it tastes very clean so far...

I'm also brewing lagers for the first time this winter and was wondering if its possible cold condition in the bottle after carbonation as I don't have room in my fridge for 25litre cube my Bavarian Lager is sitting in?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. :)

Hi guys,

Sorry to jump in, but I am having the same issue here. Just made a batch of Muntons Continental Pilsner (two can kit) with Wyeast pack 2278 this Saturday.

The yeast pack said to pitch it in at 20-24C, and thats what I did. The fermenter went straight into my wine cooler fridge at 12C.

I had a look at it Tuesday morning and there was no activity at all. So I got the fermenter out of the fridge and wrapped a towel around it.

This morning the top looks all frothy and it seems the yeast finally kicked in.

So my question is: When do I put it back in the fermenting fridge?

Thanks

Andre

10C is an ideal temperature to ferment a lager. If you can pitch at that temp or 2 degrees cooler then your resulting beer will be all the better for it - cleaner, less esters and phenols...off flavours.

It's worth making a starter to grow your yeast so your brew doesn't lag too long before the yeast takes hold. It helps protect against infection.

Once in bottles keep the temp at least 10C. Above 10C is fine (even 20) because of the small amount of sugar the yeast is eating won't create off flavours, but below 10 will take longer to carb.

EDIT: Normal practice is to raise the temp at the end of fermentaion (12-14C) - this helps the yeast clean up some of the crap they produced when they were multiplying (and you pitched warm so they definately produced some). If you can't raise the temp then just leave it in the fermenter longer. Don't be afraid to leave a lager for 3 weeks before chilling or bottling.

Bazman,
I believe you can cold condition in the bottle after carbonation. Material will still drop out to the bottom of the bottle but pouring style could reintroduce the sediment into the beer. When lagering in a cube you force sediment to fall to the bottom prior to bottling so you get less sediment and clouding in the bottled beer.

Andre,
Now that your fermentation has started i suggest you move the fermenter back into your fridge to ensure fermentation occurs at the right temperature.

Lodan

Thanks Lodan,

Just got some edible gelatine in the supermarket and was going to try that to clear the sediment before bottling. So think it should work even better then?

I really need to get a brew fridge....

Back