Lady Brewers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
plus forums give quick responses to questions that occur at odd hours :p so please don't think I am complaining

:super: lady brewer here - many forum posters (and I mean on any type of forum but particularly male dominated ones) use non-gender specific names.

sadly wankers are everywhere :icon_vomit:

Having been to a beer club I do prefer the forum for company tho.

Ross said:
Were we that bad sad.gif

Maybe we shouldn't have let her sit at the hanging judge table...

:icon_offtopic:
Calculators just die...

Maybe we shouldn't have let her sit at the hanging judge table...

:icon_offtopic:
Calculators just die...

I did a little social analysis and worked out that my table wasn't going to be voted most popular and that it probably wasn't my fault ROFL

:icon_offtopic: are you saying that you don't get hairdryers with tiny little wings, sitting on clouds, playing harps?

[quote name='The Ol' Boozeroony' post='746900' date='Mar 2 2011, 09:18 PM']The author of the article should have included Jess from Hunter Beer Company in the Hunter Valley. One of the great lady brewers emerging in the industry. And she does have the added bragging rights of brewing an AIBA Gold Medal winning beer.

Booz[/quote]

Not to mention her cracking Christmas Cheer...and the fact that she is an all round top chick. If there were in fact actually any brewers here that did in fact dismiss a brewer for being female, I'd like to see them hold a candle anywhere near Jess's beers....

Pretty good mentor she has too....;)

I've brewed a few kit beers, but nothing swanky- they did turn out bloody good though- I don't usually drink beer- but I was happy to drink my own!

I'd like to learn a lot more, but just don't have the funds, nor the space for a big sexy set up like a lot of the boys- so I'm limited to kit brews and hand me down gear mostly.

I do have a pile of stuff in Perth, but till I can raise the $1400 to get it shipped- its doin' me no good.

Its nice to see other women who like to brew :)

That article has to be a hoax. If women brewed, how would the household chores ever get done ? :lol:

A simple study of historical brewing will show anyone that women brewsters were quite the norm ,if not the main brewers, of ales/beers,certainly in Egypt and England.Making bread and making beer are /were combined activities in these cultures .It's only been in relatively modern times that it became a male dominated business activity.More power to the Ladies as far as i'm concerned, great to see more of them getting involved in the hobby/craft again .Geez Nick,i hope that comment was in jest,or i pity any woman you form a relationship with,when you grow up. :rolleyes:

Umm yes and no all at the same time. Talking in huge genaralities (meaning in this case the exception proves the rule) when ever a craft has moved from being a domestic thing done on a small scale for personal/very local comsumption into a good for trade done on a larg scale it tends to move from being done by women to being done by men. This applys all over the shope, my favourite example is a viking grave find whear a Man was buried with what would be considered a commerical loom.

I agree with Rurik.

With the research I've done about brewing (wanted to know if I should perhaps don a Monks habit LOL) in medieval times I found that with brewing and bread making (as the two were inter-related ala Yeast) that it was usually in households/on properties where it was women, but in cities/larger towns/taverns it was usually the men who brewed and baked.

I've brewed a few kit beers, but nothing swanky- they did turn out bloody good though- I don't usually drink beer- but I was happy to drink my own!

I'd like to learn a lot more, but just don't have the funds, nor the space for a big sexy set up like a lot of the boys- so I'm limited to kit brews and hand me down gear mostly.

I do have a pile of stuff in Perth, but till I can raise the $1400 to get it shipped- its doin' me no good.

Its nice to see other women who like to brew :)

BIAB - cheap and space-effective to get into All Grain. I still don't have a big setup, as there is just not enough room for it, nor the funds to pour into it.

I did splash out on an esky for a mash tun from ebay, but it was still pretty cheap.

I looked at all the bling, got overwhelmed and stuck to extract brewing. I wish AHB had been around back then (and the proponents of BIAB methods), I'd have done AG a lot sooner.

Goomba

There's a bunch of female AHB members I believe, wonderwoman, braufrau, sandy. Was good to see a few at ANHC 2010, but yeah would be good to get more input from the ladies. The thing I'm finding socially is a resurgence in interest in cider for consumption from girls, some of them simply don't like beer. But if we could get a few starting out on ciders, maybe we could convert them to the dark side :ph34r:

In commercials Sam Fuss from Blackrock is a standout in Melbourne, and in the US you have a gal brewing at New Belgium Brewery (see cover of recent BYO mag), The UK there's a well known brewery in the Orkney Isles with a gal knocking out decent brews there too. Name escapes me but she's a 'canny blonde hair lassie' as they er, say it in that part of the world.

Hopper.

The thing I'm finding socially is a resurgence in interest in cider for consumption from girls, some of them simply don't like beer. But if we could get a few starting out on ciders, maybe we could convert them to the dark side :ph34r:

Hopper.

Funny you should say that Hopper - I brew the apple cider and the ginger beer for the hubby and the beer for me - trying to convert _him_ to the darkside LOL

You lot have competition comming.
3yo & first stir of the mash paddle
on tasting the mash of the belgian pale ale; the analysis was mmmmm yuuuummmy :)

Copy_of_IMG_1521.JPGCopy_of_IMG_1520.JPG

Brewsterette extrordinaire!

Awesome!! Mini Brewster!

I should teach my 13 yr old to make her own non-alco ginger beer. :) Why not, I'm teaching her to sew and cook and make soap. Might as well add brewing to the mix!

[quote name='The Ol' Boozeroony' post='746900' date='Mar 2 2011, 09:18 PM']The author of the article should have included Jess from Hunter Beer Company in the Hunter Valley. One of the great lady brewers emerging in the industry. And she does have the added bragging rights of brewing an AIBA Gold Medal winning beer.

Booz[/quote]

The article was based on a women in brewing forum on Friday in Melbourne...there are plenty of other professional female brewers who could have been included, but it was only the ones at the forum that were.

Funny you should say that Hopper - I brew the apple cider and the ginger beer for the hubby and the beer for me - trying to convert _him_ to the darkside LOL

:blink: Wow. He drinks the cider and ginger beer? Amazing. Goes to show everyone's tastes are different! Have tried out making a few ciders myself, using a mate's Breville juicer. Trouble is after 5 garbage bags of apples the appliance tends to smoke! Reckon the faster you convert hubby to beer the better. Cider making seems like a lot of work if you make it from scratch.

Cheers :) Hopper.

Awesome!! Mini Brewster!

I should teach my 13 yr old to make her own non-alco ginger beer. :) Why not, I'm teaching her to sew and cook and make soap. Might as well add brewing to the mix!

... you mean you can taech 13 year olds something ?????? I had five and I doubt very much you could teach them anything :rolleyes:

we all know fatz is a lady brewer after all. be it a big and hairy one but still a lady

your the one i brew them for.
well there are other. liquid panty remover they be. you just wait for the july case swap.

Back