Kolsch Taste

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berto

Reaction score
Hi all,
I brewed a kolsch about a 2 months ago now, and has been lagering since then. It has a very pronounced flavour which is definately malt driven, but im unsure if it should be like this or not. Ive only ever had 2 and they were in the NSW Christmas case. One was Docs which had a spicy hop flavour, but there were comments that this wasnt to style, however i thoroughly enjoyed it. The other was Duffs Kolsch, which was more malt based, however i cant remember the exact taste.

Im yet to bottle, so im considering splitting the batch and dryhopping half of it, and leaving half as is. What do people think? If i was to dry hop, what hop should i use?

The recipe is below.

01-08-2006 Dekolsch

A ProMash Brewing Session Report
--------------------------------

Brewing Date: Sunday January 08, 2006
Head Brewer: Robert
Asst Brewer:
Recipe: Dekolsch

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

08-A Koelsch & Altbier, Koelsch-Style Ale

Min OG: 1.040 Max OG: 1.048
Min IBU: 16 Max IBU: 30
Min Clr: 4 Max Clr: 5 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 23.00 Wort Size (L): 23.00
Total Grain (Kg): 5.00
Anticipated OG: 1.051 Plato: 12.51
Anticipated SRM: 3.1
Anticipated IBU: 31.4
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Actual OG: 1.043 Plato: 10.72
Actual FG: 1.012 Plato: 3.07

Alc by Weight: 3.18 by Volume: 4.07 From Measured Gravities.
ADF: 71.4 RDF 59.4 Apparent & Real Degree of Fermentation.

Actual Mash System Efficiency: 64 %
Anticipated Points From Mash: 50.51
Actual Points From Mash: 43.00

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
96.0 4.80 kg. JWM Export Pilsner Australia 1.037 2
4.0 0.20 kg. JWM Wheat Malt Australia 1.040 2

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
40.00 g. Hallertauer Pellet 4.80 27.4 60 min.
32.00 g. Czech Saaz Pellet 3.30 4.0 15 min.

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP029 German Ale/Kolsch

Berto,

I reckon you're wasting time CC ing that one if you ARE using the white labs yeast..it is an Ale yeast....the WYeast Kolsch yeast is the Lager yeast, which I think Doc and Duff used... A 4oC diff in optimal ferm temps(WL 19.4oC/WY 15.5oC)and Wy actually mention Lager qualities...

Dont dry hop it..I feel its a more delicate beer than that..

From BJCP on aroma

Very low to no malt aroma. A pleasant, very subtle fruit aroma from fermentation (apple, cherry or pear) is desirable, but not always present. A low noble hop aroma is optional but not out of place (it is present only in a small minority of authentic versions). Some yeasts may give a slight winy or sulfury character (this characteristic is also optional, but not a fault).

on flavour

Soft, rounded palate comprising of a delicate flavor balance between soft yet attenuated malt, an almost imperceptible fruity sweetness from fermentation, and a medium-low to medium bitterness with a delicate dryness and slight pucker in the finish (but no harsh aftertaste). One or two examples (Dom being the most prominent) are noticeably malty-sweet up front. Some versions can have a slightly sulfury yeast character that accentuates the dryness and flavor balance. Some versions may have a slight wheat taste, although this is quite rare. Otherwise very clean with no diacetyl or fusels.

But overall...If YOU like the "out of style" flavour ...make it that way...easy...if you are going to dry hop, use a low alpha German noble hop for sure..Hersbruker, Hall, etc... Maybe grab a plug or two for it...

Just my thoughts on it..

Beerz

Linz

Linz said:
Berto,

I reckon you're wasting time CC ing that one if you ARE using the white labs yeast..it is an Ale yeast....the WYeast Kolsch yeast is the Lager yeast, which I think Doc and Duff used... A 4oC diff in optimal ferm temps(WL 19.4oC/WY 15.5oC)and Wy actually mention Lager qualities...
[post="113223"][/post]​

??? not to split hairs but all koelsch yeasts are technically ale yeasts, albeit ones that are very close to lager yeasts...

and in any case the cold conditioning definitely helps get a koelschy flavour regardless... it's not that koelsches need lagering to get rid of diacetyl or anything but they need it for general mellowing. i lagered a koelsch with 029 and it was very nice. if your koelsch is edgy then definitely CC it. 3 weeks is all you need.

and i wouldnt dry hop at all! subtle amounts of flavour/aroma hops in the boil are fine for a koelsch but dryhopping will wreck it.

Hey,

Done a couple of Kolsch which have turned out great.

I've used a lot more wheat though... like 1kg + 4kg pilsner and Wyeast Kolsch.

I tested the keg after 2 weeks of lagering, but it was noticably better after 4 weeks.

I use some light munich in mine also.
I love the combination of Spalt and Perle too.
The WLP029 yeast works really well but does need to be lagered/cc to get it to clear quickly. The hard bit is waiting that long as it is so damm easy and enjoyable to drink young.

Beers,
Doc

Munich malt is out of style and will lend body body, colour and richness that are not typical.

Late hop character is not in a Koelsch, maybe FWH with a proportion of your bittering hops but that would be plenty.

I concur with neonmate too, they are all ale yeasts, wyeast happens to say that it is lager-like.

The Germans call Koelsch and Altbier 'obergaerige Lagerbiere' - top-fermented lager beers.

They cool ferment these old style ales and then lager them.

tdh

tdh said:
Munich malt is out of style and will lend body body, colour and richness that are not typical.

Late hop character is not in a Koelsch, maybe FWH with a proportion of your bittering hops but that would be plenty.
[post="113273"][/post]​

there do exist koelsches with more malt body (i think peters uses munich) and big hop aroma (paeffgen, muehlen). the main problem with going by the BJCP rules is that they just tell you how to make something that is like the majority of koelsches. most koelsches in cologne are made by big fat macrobreweries who dumb them down. most of them quite frankly are flavourless yellow piss. hunter koelsch and wignpen koelsch both taste a lot more interesting than 90% of the koelsches in cologne.
i think 100%pils, 20IBUs and a vague fruitiness is kind of boring but that's just me. as i said in another post the great thing about homebrewing german beers is that you don't have to be german about it!

Then don't call it Koelsch!

tdh

Mild hop and slight fruitiness to me is what Kolsch is all about, It should be "light and delicate"
Good read on the style here Kolsch

That's one of the places my info on the style came from.

Cheers
Andrew

Berto,

I wouldn't be dry hopping - just stick with a late addition...

Here is Jamil Zainasheff's recipe, another one who likes munich...

"The really important bit is the yeast and cold ferement.
The munich malt gives a little bit of depth to the malt character. It can be a bit too one dimensional without it.
I would say the beer should be "crisp", but not really "dry".
The most important part is yeast selection and ferementation.
I like my kolsch a bit more malty. The munich really helps set it appart, while not being overwhelming. Vienna is OK too, though it is a different character.
The recipe I posted has won plenty of first place awards, if that means anything.
In either case, it is the fermentation that is critical in making a kolsch. I wouldn't sweat the grainbill so much.
Mash temp doesn't have anything to do with maltiness. It just controls the dextrines in the beer. Malty flavors and aromas need to come from other sources.
I've tried Wyeast, Whitelabs, and brewtek strains. All three make really good beer, but the brewtek strain just seemed "better". Perhaps a touch crisper, perhaps a slightly different ester profile. It is one of only a handful of strains I bother to keep, because in most cases the White Labs and the Wyeast strains are superior to everything else you can get your hands on."

Kolsch

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

08-A Koelsch & Altbier, Koelsch-Style Ale

Min OG: 1.040 Max OG: 1.048
Min IBU: 16 Max IBU: 30
Min Clr: 4 Max Clr: 5 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 6.00 Wort Size (Gal): 6.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 10.50
Anticipated OG: 1.046 Plato: 11.55
Anticipated SRM: 3.8
Anticipated IBU: 22.2
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 7.74 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.036 SG 9.03 Plato

Formulas Used
-------------

Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
% Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager

Additional Utilization Used For Plug Hops: 2 %
Additional Utilization Used For Pellet Hops: 10 %

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
85.7 9.00 lbs. Pilsener Germany 1.038 2
9.5 1.00 lbs. Munich Malt Germany 1.037 8
4.8 0.50 lbs. Wheat Malt Germany 1.039 2

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
0.90 oz. Tettnanger Pellet 5.60 20.7 60 min.
0.40 oz. Tettnanger Pellet 5.60 1.5 5 min.

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 Unit(s)Whirlfloc Fining 20 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----

BrewTek CL-450 Kolsch

Water Profile
-------------

Profile:
Profile known for:

Calcium(Ca): 0.0 ppm
Magnesium(Mg): 0.0 ppm
Sodium(Na): 0.0 ppm
Sulfate(SO4): 0.0 ppm
Chloride(Cl): 0.0 ppm
biCarbonate(HCO3): 0.0 ppm

pH: 7.00

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Single Step

Grain Lbs: 10.50
Water Qts: 15.60 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 3.90 - Before Additional Infusions

Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.49 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 150 Time: 70
Mash-out Rest Temp : 168 Time: 10
Sparge Temp : 170 Time: 60

Total Mash Volume Gal: 4.74 - Dough-In Infusion Only

All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

Dunno about a Kolsch but that would make a nice Munich Helles. :beerbang:

Warren -

9.5% Dark Munich malt!!!

Why not use Melanoidin instead, that way there'll be enormous malt aroma as well.

:blink:

tdh

Just thought I'd bump this post. I have an order on the way from G&G for a Kolsch. Can someone who has used the Wyeast 2565 please tell me how much conditioning/temp will be required to get this yeast to floc out ? :unsure:

razz said:
Just thought I'd bump this post. I have an order on the way from G&G for a Kolsch. Can someone who has used the Wyeast 2565 please tell me how much conditioning/temp will be required to get this yeast to floc out ? :unsure:
[post="122471"][/post]​
i would recommend a fining agent. It is very low flocculating and may take a long time without one. I used a silica based one but you can used gelatin or whatever suits you.

razz said:
Thanks Aaron. I haven't used these before, is it done in secondary ? What temps are you talking ? :)
[post="122487"][/post]​
Normally done in secondary. I mixed the stuff I had with a little wort i drew off. Put that in the fermenter then racked onto it. Then I lagered for a couple of weeks. The stuff I used worked very well. The beer came out birlliantly clear. You should be able to find plenty of info on how others use their fining agents around the site too.

Back