Know thy malts! Or not ...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lord Ester

Reaction score
Hi guys.

I'm new to brewing, and at present am only brewing extracts with some hop and LDME additions.

However, I have acquired some grains with the intention of doing some steeps in my coming brews. I sourced them from a brewing supplier who was selling up, and got a small quantity very cheaply.

Some of what I got was Joe White crystal malt. I asked the seller if he had any crystal malts suitable for using in an Irish red ale. He told me he had two JW crystal malts that would work for that. He sent me what I ordered, but never clarified which of the JW crystal malts it actually was. Several times I pursued him for a data sheet or anything about the malt. No reply, sadly.

So I know nothing except that it's a JW crystal malt suitable for an Irish red.

Is there any way to tell which crystal malt it is? Looking at some pics and based on the fact he said it was suitable for a red ale, I was thinking it was probably a 60l, 80l or 120l. But I am a total novice, so don't really know.

I've attached a few photos … haven't opened any of the bags, but the vacuum packing seems to have loosened up anyway.

Any wisdom appreciated!

P1080040.JPG

P1080049.JPG

No idea mate.
Crush and use, then choose a better shop - one with some idea of what they are selling.

From memory there is only two JW crystals available in the lists I look at.

A light and a dark.

http://bintani.com.au/brewing?MaltType=&colour=&malt=true&region=

Crystal Aust Crystal 110<200 Joe White 115.0 - 145.0 75 5.50% Crystal Malt contributes to the flavour, colour, hear-retention and storage capabilities of beer. Crystal is made from fully germinated barley (green malt). Starch is converted into sugars during the roasting process, resulting in a crystalline endosperm, hence the name ‘crystal’ – which gives crystal its distinctive sweet flavour.

Crystal Dark Aust Crystal 200<500 Joe White 250.0 - 300.0 75 5.50% Light and dark crystals can be used in any type of beer from golden lagers to darker ales. The colour varies from a very light, honey-shade to a deep gold, depending on the length of the final roasting and colour formation stage.

Hi indica. I think the guy was knowledgeable, but just overwhelmed, and not responding. Either way, I got left in the dark. I take your point, nonetheless.

Thanks, Elcarter, for the link and descriptions. I've tried to find pictures of the various JW malts, but am still not clear about which one it is.

Yep JW have light and dark crystal. And a cara malt and a wheat crystal.
And further to the overwhelmed post... I call bullshit. Actual and real customer service requires knowledge and composure. Or at the very least a LABEL on what you have been sold.
YOUR crystal as pictured looks dark to me.

Have a chew on the grain, you should be able to tell which is which

Thanks, fellas.

I will have a chew on the grain, but not having a comparison point, or much idea what I'm tasting for, it may not yield me a lot of useful info this time around. But it will at least get me tasting grain, and that has to be good for future reference. So cheers for that.

Indica, I agree it is sloppy practice from the seller. It may well be why he was getting out of selling supplies! He had quite a lot of grain and hops for sale, very cheaply. He had a legit business account with a brewing-type name. But it was chaotic communication, and less-than-ideal customer service. Whether it was bull$hit or being overwhelmed, it wasn't a fun bit of business.

I'll go with your punt that it is the dark of 250.0 - 300.0 EBC … and if it isn't then I'll chalk it up to my need to learn more. :)

So I'm chewing on a few grains, sniffing, looking ...

Smells a bit burned, biscuity. Tan-coloured husks, much darker inside (dark brown-black).

Tastes, well, malty! But when you crush it right down between your molars you get more of the burnt flavour, and a whiff of the biscuity aroma. Just the very tiniest tinge of residual sweetness when you've chewed on a few of them. 'Burnt malt' is the dominant characteristic though.

Quite addictive to chew on, I must say!

Now you've chewed them up add them to a brew you know well; something you've done before and learn for yourself what that adds to your brew. Now each malt won't have the same effect but by doing this you will learn more than reading 200 threads about malts.

MB

MastersBrewery said:
Now you've chewed them up add them to a brew you know well; something you've done before and learn for yourself what that adds to your brew. Now each malt won't have the same effect but by doing this you will learn more than reading 200 threads about malts.

MB
Are you suggesting a barley chicha MB? Nice!

Thanks, Masters. It's the first time I've ever munched on grains like this. Even so, that 5-minute encounter with a few grains was very educational. The old 'learn by doing'!

Camo6 said:
Are you suggesting a barley chicha MB? Nice!
I find adding a small dash of coffee to my morning mash helps get the day off to a good start. :)

I feel your pain buddy. Am in the early days of partials and already made one balls up (too much cara grains). Picking up bits and pieces but may need to track down a book to accelarate my learning.

Hi

Lord Ester
A great way to check if they are fresh or stale is just throw a small handful into a glass of water - if they float and still have some crunch and crispness on the tongue they are fresh and friable - good! If they sink like a stone and chew up like old stale bread in the bin mate. Bad quality raw material in = not good quality beer out :)

Keep on that journey to all grain enlightenment - never without its struggles but the beer and your drinkers will love you all the more for the journey.

Brew malty & merry :)

cheers,

Latest posts

Back