Kits with grain and hops - newbie help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hatts

Reaction score
Hi. About to attempt golden ale recipe. It has amarillo additions at 15 and 5 min.

My question : if the cracked crystal malt ( caramalt I think they called) I got for steeping has cascade hops already added (came out of a brew shop recipe kit-all already in the bag) do I need to make radical alterations to the amarillo hopping from recipe

That's what I thought. Perhaps there is a method for this?

Possibly one bag in the sense of being a 'recipe pack' for a kit and the package had a bag (or teabag) of hops and a bag of grain in the kit 'bag'.

@OP, could you give us a little more information and I'm sure someone will figure it out and help out.

Yep that would be a fair description. Girl at shop gave me Iit as opposed to cracking just grain. I Didnt pay it much thought at the time

Just wondering if would make much difference if going to do this recipe:

1 can Thomas Coopers Sparkling Ale1 can Coopers Wheat Malt250g Caramalt (or other light crystal)15g Amarillo @ 15 and 5 (dry hop optional but not required)Yeast - US05How you go about this depends on your pot size but my standard procedure back in the kit brewing days was to use a 6 pack esky to steep the grain in. If you use 2 parts boiling water to 1 part tap water you should get water with a temp of between 65-70C which is great for steeping grain in. Mix ~1L of this temp water with the crushed caramalt (or other crystal malt) and let steep for up to an hour. Drain through a colander and pout the grain back in the esky with another 1L of 65-70C water. Stir and drain straight away.I used a large stockpot for brewing in back then, i think its 16L so i would then add the 2L of liquor from steeping the grain and top up with another 6L of boiling water. Add the can of coopers wheat malt and bring to the boil. Add 15g of amarillo and boil for 10 mins. Add another 15g of amarillo and boil for a further 5 mins. Turn off the heat. Add the can of sparkling ale and mix thoroughly. Cool this pot down, i found it was easiest to sit it in a sink of cold water. Strain into fermenter and top up to 20L (not 23L). Once the temp is below 22C add the yeast. Try to keep the temp between 18-20C ideally, up to 22C is OK. Leave

So were the Cascade hops just an added bonus then? Are they in their own bag? You made it sound like they are loose in the grain pack.

Well, try and avoid that next time. I have no idea what that will do to your brew.
Someone else may

There will be some bitterness from the Cascade hop tea boil. I am not certain how much.

Essentially you are adding a boil of cascade for 15 minutes, but the added steeping time of around an hour may extract some additional bitterness, but from memory to extract the bitterness from hops the temp needs to be over a particular temperature.
Regardless, to answer your question of will you need to radically alter your hop schedule for Amarillo? Depends if you want to end up with a similarly bittered beer. You probably won't get heaps of bitterness from the cascade but it will be noticeable. My advice is boil the first lot of Amarillo for 5 min, the add the second lot and boil for a further 5 min.
I love cascade hop, super tastey and suits a pale ale well. Good luck buddy, don't stress. Beer will taste good!

Latest posts

Back