Kit Yeast On Ag?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekul

Reaction score
So has anyone ever tried the yeast that comes from underneath the lids of the coopers tins on an AG wort? the reason i ask is that i have noticed that craftbrewer sell the 7g packets of coopers yeast. I would assume that if you were doing kits that you'd already have some yeast, so i was wondering what the target market of this yeast would be. Its actually surprisingly expensive as well when compared to other dried yeast.

I would be very interested to know how this yeast performs on an all grain wort. Surely someone has filled up a fermenter and realised that they are out of yeast, then scrounged around and found an old tin that as some yeast under the lid. Unfortunately a search only turns up kit beers and recultered coopers yeast.

It should be fine. They might sell the yeast as to pitch in 23lts you need about 11-12g of yeast to get the right pitching rate and double that for lagers. I have used muntons premium ale yeast and it is 7g and is about $4.50 for a pack but its a brilliant yeast one of my favourite out of dried yeasts. But for the cost factor and portion size I dont use it often.

Edit: I do only pitch 7g I dont like doing it but it ferments out just fine. Not sure if it throws different flavours then pitching at the right rate. I have heard us05 or 1056 when underpitched throws unwanted flavours

If pitched at a good rate, Coopers Lid Ale Yeast does a competent job with dark ales such as Aussie Darks, in fact I would use it first before Nottingham. Morgans lager yeast is also good for an all purpose lager and can be fermented at mid teens without throwing off flavours, and isn't a stinky sulphur lager yeast.

Back