Kink in beer coil

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey there. Months ago on a whim I bought all the pieces to build a jockey box whilst down the coast visiting my sister. Been away travelling for six months and have just got back and decided to start putting it together.

Unwrapped the coil from it's cling wrap shroud to be shattered to see a kink it the bottom. Serves me right for not double checking everything when I bought it.

Don't have a chance to return it, probably unlikely they'd take it back after six months anyway. Does anyone think it'll be salvageable? And if so how'd I go about removing the kink?

Cheers

Ned

image.jpg

image.jpg

You could cut just past the kink, removing the last 2 rings?
Would this leave you with enough coil to cool the beer down?

I don't think it'll make the slightest bit of difference to be honest. If it really bothers you, just cut off the last coil and the kink with it.

Can't cut it unfortunately, it's at the bottom where it then could back up again, so it's smack bang in the middle.

Do you reckon it could make the beer foamy? Like by increasing the pressure or something?

Thanks for the replies

I think you should try it and see. I'm tipping that compared to all the indignity of a corny keg disconnect, a little kink like that isn't going to upset the beer very much at all.

you could possibly fill it with water and freeze it, checking on it every so often so you can remove it from the freezer as soon as the ding pops back out
I've done this with trail bike headers before with success, but there is the risk of splitting the tubing

I would suggest just using it. I have a similar kink in one of the coils in my Jockey box and it doesn't seem to cause any significant issues.

mrned said:
Hey there. Months ago on a whim I bought all the pieces to build a jockey box whilst down the coast visiting my sister. Been away travelling for six months and have just got back and decided to start putting it together.

Unwrapped the coil from it's cling wrap shroud to be shattered to see a kink it the bottom. Serves me right for not double checking everything when I bought it.

Don't have a chance to return it, probably unlikely they'd take it back after six months anyway. Does anyone think it'll be salvageable? And if so how'd I go about removing the kink?

Cheers

Ned
Some people are very reasonable & if you explain to the store you bought it from just like you have here, they might surprise you! You might find they've had the same problem before, its worth trying anyway. I often buy things & don't open them for months myself so don't let that put you off.

Some people are very reasonable & if you explain to the store you bought it from just like you have here, they might surprise you! You might find they've had the same problem before, its worth trying anyway. I often buy things & don't open them for months myself so don't let that put you off.
Worth a try!

How to remove a kink from copper pipe.
Grab a shifter and adjust it slightly smaller than the proper diameter of the pipe. Put it on the kink and swing it back and forward a few times. The readjust and repeat. The spanner will burnish the kink out. The trick it to do it in small steps.

Glot said:
How to remove a kink from copper pipe.Grab a shifter and adjust it slightly smaller than the proper diameter of the pipe. Put it on the kink and swing it back and forward a few times. The readjust and repeat. The spanner will burnish the kink out. The trick it to do it in small steps.
Nice one! I'll give that a try tomorrow! Ripper!

Thanks for all the replies guys!

If you're lucky enough to know someone with a copper flaring tool, you can use the flaring block, just need to find the right diameter and clamp it on…the kink should pop out providing its not kinked too much.

img_0243a.jpg

Got one with kink in it too
Not as bad as yours but still a kink
Makes no difference at all
No foamy beer from mine

Latest posts

Back