Kent Old Brown

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djt

Reaction score
G'day guy's. Planning my first partial. I want to make a Brown (Kent Old). I was thinking about this recipe -

1 X Morgans Blue Mount Lager
500gm Malto dex
CaraRed malt grain (steeped)
Saaz hops
S-04 Yeast

A couple of questions - Is this grain the right type for this beer? How much do you use? How long for the steep? Do I still need Maltodex? How much hops? Any other suggestions to make this beer type?

Was trying to get close to the mouth feel & lace with the malto, but will this grain sort of give me the same thing

Thanks, just wanted to make sure I was on the right track.

Darrtoo

G'day guy's. Planning my first partial. I want to make a Brown (Kent Old). I was thinking about this recipe -

1 X Morgans Blue Mount Lager
500gm Malto dex
CaraRed malt grain (steeped)
Saaz hops
S-04 Yeast

A couple of questions - Is this grain the right type for this beer? How much do you use? How long for the steep? Do I still need Maltodex? How much hops? Any other suggestions to make this beer type?

Was trying to get close to the mouth feel & lace with the malto, but will this grain sort of give me the same thing

Thanks, just wanted to make sure I was on the right track.

Darrtoo

Darrtoo - I made an AG version:

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...&recipe=397

Do a search for "Kent Old Brown" or "KOBA". How much grain are you going to be able mash? Ive not used Carared so I dont think you will get the brown colour by using the lager and dextrose. Id be going 2-3 kilos Ale malt (mash) a dash of caraoma and roast malt and maybe a tin of morgans amber ale at flameout.

Cheers
Steve

It may be worth considering the following substitutions:

Sub maltodextrin with 500g dry malt extract, or Morgans Caramalt tin (1kg)
Sub saaz hops with something english, like fuggles
Sub or add some chocolate malt where you have carared (maybe about 100g tops of choc with 300g carared?)
Yeast looks OK

It's been a while since I did a kit + grains, so others may have more to offer.

cheers

Carared is way off the mark...and I do mean a long way off the mark..leave Carared for red ales ( ie Scottish & Irish )

You will need a proper toasted Amber malt for Kent to get the flavour

Can you still buy Kent Old.

I just realised i have never tasted it.

I will agree with Stu though.......... even guessing, carared is the wrong malt. Its got a candy sweet flavour.

Might have to try and track some down now.

cheers

Thanks guy's for the suggestions. Cause I'm just trying to get started in partials, I haven't got much idea yet what all the grains can impart and what goes with what, so I'm trying to read and digest all I can.

Cheers darrtoo

G'day Tony

Yeh you can still get Brown. The best in town (Maitland) is at Telarah bowlo. Beeeeautiful, brown taste and you need a spoon for the head at the finish. Worth a visit

Darrtoo

Kent has a very distinctive taste..

I roasted some malt in the oven at ...VERY STRONG flavour...be warned

From Ray Daniels " Designing Great Beers"

Place pale malt in an oven tray

45mins @ 110*c
20-60mins @ 150*c
Test grain at 20mins by cutting open and checking for colour..
continue at 150*c until colour is acheived...( usually 45 mins)

I made a beer with this malt, and it took 6 months to smooth out...but when it did it was fantastic

On tap............. not a hop skip and a jump from my place...........

My parents go there for chicken snitzel night i think.... cant remember what night.

May organise a night out with the kids for dinner and a Kent Old!

cheere

Carared is way off the mark...and I do mean a long way off the mark..leave Carared for red ales ( ie Scottish & Irish )

You will need a proper toasted Amber malt for Kent to get the flavour
I think that amber malt would require mashing - possibly with another base malt, whereas chocolate (and carared) could be steeped only, which I think is what darrtoo was aiming for.

With this in mind, the two processes are not that different from each other.

A compromise might be:

Lager kit
1 x tin (1.5kg) of amber malt
100g chocolate malt steeped
fuggles for hopping

Depending on the alc% you wanted, maybe use half the amber malt and save half.

Amber can be steeped..

You wont get kent old flavour without using an amber malt ( not the tin stuff )
Toasted amber malt, and amber malt from a tin are two very different animals...

Carared is actually a crystal malt, nothing like choc...or amber...none of them will convert..they just add flavour.

Amber can be steeped..
I was under the impression it needed to be mashed...beersmith says it must be, all product descriptions for it that I've read also say must mash. :huh:

EDIT. I remember drinking this beer with great gusto in Newcastle 15 or 16 years ago....but have never seen it outside Newcastle. A pity, cos this was in the days before I even liked beer. It was the only one I did like.

Kent Old - brown, was available at Penshurst RSL until about 6 months or so ago, and Hurstville RSL had it too, but last time I was there a few months back, the bar staff seemed to think it was going to be replaced with something more popular.

I might drop up there later today and check, but Brown was always my preferred drink at Penso. My theory is people can't take a beer with both flavour and colour :) Cheerz Wab

Amber can be steeped..

You wont get kent old flavour without using an amber malt ( not the tin stuff )
Toasted amber malt, and amber malt from a tin are two very different animals...

Carared is actually a crystal malt, nothing like choc...or amber...none of them will convert..they just add flavour.
Maybe I'm not taking this as seriously as you, stu. The guy is using a lager kit for starters, looking to add some grains, maybe even have a bit of fun with it. The world believes you that you need amber malt for the Kent Old flavour, which I still think needs to be mashed.

I also was of the impression that Chocolate is a crystal, too.

Maybe have a look at the sponsor's sites to see what they suggest doing with amber malt/choc/crystal.

Kent old brown used to be my beer of choice before going to black. (on tap of course when theres nothing else). I see it in most pubs and clubs around wollongong. When i ask for an old, often ill get a brown, which is why ive stuck to asking for a black... ^_^

Lesson learnt... eh eh eh

Sponge

Kent Brewery was the old Tooths establishment in Broadway. The Mrs grew up in a little terraced house in Ultimo not far away and they would get a good whiff of the boiling wort on the way to school. When Fosters took over Tooths they eventually closed the brewery and I bet you any money that Kent Old is now brewed at Yatala QLD, as it occasionally pops up in bowls clubs, RSLs etc around here.

If I was doing a partial I'd think about a tin of Morgans Australian Old as a base, but definitely not the Royal Oak Amber which is way too bitter. I've never tried the Kent, but to me the Tooheys Old shouts "crystal", and if doing an Australian Old style I would personally use say 300g of dark crystal steeped for an hour.

Edit: I've used crystal in my Newcastle Brown Wannabee and it turned out more Australian than Geordie!

Kent Old - brown, was available at Penshurst RSL until about 6 months or so ago, and Hurstville RSL had it too, but last time I was there a few months back, the bar staff seemed to think it was going to be replaced with something more popular.

I might drop up there later today and check, but Brown was always my preferred drink at Penso. My theory is people can't take a beer with both flavour and colour :) Cheerz Wab

Still on tap at Hurstville RSL last I looked...

Anyone seen Kent Old on tap in the CBD?

Haven't had one in yonks.

Back