Kegs, So Who Else Gives 'em A Polish ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c0z

Reaction score
1. God Bless Craft Brewer, stainless steel kegs could not be cheaper! I always order a seal kit per keg. Pour a Beer.
Picture_002.jpg
2. Equipment required, Razor Blades, Some automotive accessories including a few old polish pads and towels, sandpaper (Glass type), rubber gloves etc, Pour a Beer.
Picture_005.jpg
3. Mineral Turps and razor blades to clean glue and stickers off (heat gun + razor blade also works ok) Pour a Beer.
4. Mineral Turps to lubricate the glass sand paper to sand (WARNING this will scratch the stainless pretty bad) but I found that the universal scratching of the whole keg makes it look tidy by hiding some of the bigger imperfections. Pour a Beer.
5. Metal polish keg using the palm of your rubber gloved hand, liberal application I found really working this polish in gives good result. wipe keg down (lots of black grime comes off). Pour a Beer.
6. Polish keg with metal polish and polishing pad, wipe down. Pour a Beer.
7. Polish keg with clean pad and automotive polish (eg non abrasive) Marvel at your wonky reflection.
Picture_006.jpg
8. Dismantle, sugar soap all parts, percarbonate all parts add new seal etcs. Pour a Beer.
9. use automotive detailer for shining and cleaning all black parts mmm shiny. careful here hands/beer glass become slippery. (this product will wear off the kegs after being handled a lot) so you get black smudges on your hands for a few weeks but they look so pretty.
Picture_007.jpg

Keen!

With mt kegs, i thought i was pedantic! I razor off all the stickers. give them a once over with nappisan to remove glue/gunk/dirt and a rinse. That takes me around 20 mins a keg. How long did that take!??! 2 hours for both?

See the ones in the very top photo - the bundle of 4 - thats what mine look like - infact I think that some of the insulation tape that Ross used to bundle them together is still on one of them. Never cleaned the outside once - ever.

Pretty bloody clean on the INSIDE though.

RM

I just give mine a rinse off and wipedown with nappisan solution. as you open my fridge to pour a beer, any guests get to see my 'clean' brewing gear. Not dirty dinged up kegs. Is it something you are dispensing your beverage from. Especially for SWMBO friends, if the outsides dirty, they'd probabaly assume the inside is the same too!

Mine are mint as on the inside and have stickers and gunk on the outside, I couldnt care less tho, not like people see em..

Mine are locked away in the fridge. Im the only one who sees them.

I care about the beer coming out of them bein clean though! :)

BTW - they look awesome what you have done - well done.

I would like to buy some brand new ones but I cant justify the cost.

:blink: I think anybody who polishes their kegs also polishes their own ...

{Edit add your own ending to the sentence}

Warren -

Warren -

What if ya get the mrs to polish it for ya :lol:

See the ones in the very top photo - the bundle of 4 - thats what mine look like - infact I think that some of the insulation tape that Ross used to bundle them together is still on one of them. Never cleaned the outside once - ever.

Pretty bloody clean on the INSIDE though.

RM

Mine still has my name and address on the sticker Ross put on it....... and the black insulation tape

I don't polish the outsides as such, but I do clean them up.

I clean both the inside and the outside of my kegs for the same reason I clean both sides of my dinner plates, the inside and outside of my glasses, both ends of my knives and forks, etc, etc, etc.

Sure I don't eat off the underside of a dinner plate, but I still like it to be reasonably clean. If I had guests over for dinner, and they were presented with a meal on a nice clean top-side, but the bottom sides had old food hanging off .... Well, I don't think they'd come again.

If I had guests over for dinner, and they were presented with a meal on a nice clean top-side, but the bottom sides had old food hanging off .... Well, I don't think they'd come again.

I'd be happy for my friends to stop drinking my beer :p Maybe I should dirty up the outside of my kegs lol.

I'd be happy for my friends to stop drinking my beer :p Maybe I should dirty up the outside of my kegs lol.

I'm the opposite. I love brewing almost more than I love drinking beer, so i'm more than happy to have assistance getting through the stock.

I've never thought to clean the outsides but they're in pretty good condition anyway.

But the insides I recently did a full on clean including taking all parts apart etc and putting back together.

I need a bigger sink. I'd love a really really big industrial laundry sink. I reckon it'd be the most handy bit of brew gear ever.

Warren -

+1
Why bother? There are a squizillion other things to do keeping a brewery up to scratch without this Mrs Palmer stuff. ;) :icon_cheers:
But by all means waste your time if you have plenty of it?

TP

Back