KegMaster XL vs Series-X - Which one is better?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have, well he came around and saw mine. He admitted it was superior to his, in saying that he did have a lot of problems with his from the start. Could just have been a one off I don't know.
Awesome! Mind elaborating a bit? Superior in which ways? Noise is one of the bigger concerns for me keep in mind though probably hard to tell if you don't have them side by side.

Based on your OP seems your gut feeling was to go with the XL. So go with your gut. Whatever differences there are you won't know without the other anyway.

If noise is your primary concern then get a new standard refrigerator that is built with noise reduction in mind. Then convert it with taps or leave it as is and use picnic taps/Pluto guns.

Awesome! Mind elaborating a bit? Superior in which ways? Noise is one of the bigger concerns for me keep in mind though probably hard to tell if you don't have them side by side.
The aesthetics captured him, but not as much as the low noise level. I do remember him telling me now how noisy his was.

The aesthetics captured him, but not as much as the low noise level. I do remember him telling me now how noisy his was.

We tested both models and the noise levels are the same when tested right next to each other. Neither of the Series X or the XL are completely silent. We found that the noise levels increase slightly when you put a warm keg into the fridge or open the door then close it. Also with warmer ambient temperatures the gas pressure in the system increases and this made a small difference to the sound levels but having done the testing with a dB meter in the same room we got the same readings.

Turning off the fan or slowing the fan down did reduce the noise level slightly but it also made the fridge cool significantly less efficiently so I would not recommend this either.

We tested both models and the noise levels are the same when tested right next to each other. Neither of the Series X or the XL are completely silent. We found that the noise levels increase slightly when you put a warm keg into the fridge or open the door then close it. Also with warmer ambient temperatures the gas pressure in the system increases and this made a small difference to the sound levels but having done the testing with a dB meter in the same room we got the same readings.

Turning off the fan or slowing the fan down did reduce the noise level slightly but it also made the fridge cool significantly less efficiently so I would not recommend this either.
Good idea I can get a quality Decibel meter from work, I will measure the difference and report back.👍

Good idea I can get a quality Decibel meter from work, I will measure the difference and report back.👍
Did you ever run the meter on it?

I have purchased a Series X and installed in the dining area. The noise is an issue to me and I am returning the unit hoping it is faulty, though it sounds like the noises are standard. The compressor isn't the problem, its the gurgling as it isn't a constant drone that you could get used to.

I think the solution may be to purchase a normal fridge and customise it, but I would have really preferred an easy off the shelf outcome rather than a project.

Did you ever run the meter on it?

I have purchased a Series X and installed in the dining area. The noise is an issue to me and I am returning the unit hoping it is faulty, though it sounds like the noises are standard. The compressor isn't the problem, its the gurgling as it isn't a constant drone that you could get used to.

I think the solution may be to purchase a normal fridge and customise it, but I would have really preferred an easy off the shelf outcome rather than a project.
Just do a search on this site, it's all been covered. Short answer: just buy a converted fridge.

Hello all,
Do normal fridges only have gas lines in the side walls or do they also have them in the back wall ?

Asking for a friend :)

Hello all,
Do normal fridges only have gas lines in the side walls or do they also have them in the back wall ?

Asking for a friend :)

The Series X, Series XL and the Series X plus all have the condenser in the left and right hand wall with one copper line that joins them together that run over the top of the fridge. We do not put refrigeration lines in the back of these at all. Obviously the evaporator is still in the back of the fridge and we do have also one aluminium line running from the top down to the compressor on the back.

If you plan to drill through the fridge all I would recommend using a screw driver heated up on a flame and then melt through the wall of the fridge first and if you do not hit any copper lines then you can just use a drill bit to drill through the sheet metal on the outside of the fridge.

When drilling holes in any fridge/freezer: ALWAYS!!! make a hole in the plastic inside the appliance first (a soldering iron works well) Dig out the insulation so you have a clear view of the outside shell, then drill from the inside to the outside.

Hi Jayvan90, That fridge looks amazing. Could you please share the model number of this fridge? I can see it's a Westinghouse but that's the only detail I can see.
Thanks and great job!
Here’s the badge inside the fridge and a bit of the plumbing i did - I can get 4 kegs plus the gas bottle and regulator

Attachments

• IMG_0574.jpeg
    IMG_0574.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0576.jpeg
    IMG_0576.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0575.jpeg
    IMG_0575.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Here’s the badge inside the fridge and a bit of the plumbing i did - I can get 4 kegs plus the gas bottle and regulator
Thanks for the details and pictures. Much appreciated. Personally, I use a secondhand Fisher & Paykel but it has been causing trouble since the beginning.
The freezer department works OK but the cooling capacity of the fridge is inadequate. So, I'm looking for a replacement. After some research it seems that F&P doesn't have the best reputation. Hence, my request for more info.
You've done a great job! Thanks for the fast response.
Luke

Thanks for the details and pictures. Much appreciated. Personally, I use a secondhand Fisher & Paykel but it has been causing trouble since the beginning.
The freezer department works OK but the cooling capacity of the fridge is inadequate. So, I'm looking for a replacement. After some research it seems that F&P doesn't have the best reputation. Hence, my request for more info.
You've done a great job! Thanks for the fast response.
Luke
I bought a second hand f&p - lasted 6months before the compressor died - So I bought the Westinghouse brand new and should have done right from the start !
Was pretty disappointed after all the time put in

Attachments

• 5B21BF7B-A736-4143-8085-7F5F56ACFF94.jpeg
    5B21BF7B-A736-4143-8085-7F5F56ACFF94.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 85E69B9F-6E9E-4C10-A892-E3C325476FC0.jpeg
    85E69B9F-6E9E-4C10-A892-E3C325476FC0.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 1CAEDAF3-8F5F-4D46-9103-A49AAA9BAF5F.jpeg
    1CAEDAF3-8F5F-4D46-9103-A49AAA9BAF5F.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
I bought a second hand f&p - lasted 6months before the compressor died - So I bought the Westinghouse brand new and should have done right from the start !
Was pretty disappointed after all the time put in
I find myself in a similar situation. I purchased a secondhand fridge from Gumtree for $200. While it initially worked, it was plagued with various issues.

The unit has two small fans, but the rubber straps meant to keep them suspended snap, causing the fans to stall and rub against the polystyrene, triggering an audible alarm. Though I managed to fix the fans temporarily, they eventually seized up again, leading to more alarms. Subsequently, the cooling element brackets in the freezer broke, prompting me to strip out all the electronics and bypass them. The hours spent trying to fix this fridge have been considerable.

Now, I've reached a point where I'm contemplating giving up and investing in a new fridge.

I previously had a kegerator from Keg King, but its performance left much to be desired. The build quality was subpar, and everything felt cheap. I concur that modifying a good-quality fridge, ideally with the freezer at the bottom for accessibility, seems to be the optimal solution.

However, the challenge with secondhand fridges lies in uncertainty regarding their capacity to fit 3 or 4 19-liter kegs. It's always a hassle to request accurate measurements from the seller. Additionally, none of the manuals provide information on the location of cooling lines, making it risky to drill holes in the fridge.

Perhaps as home brewers, we should consider creating a database of suitable fridges, providing feedback on their suitability and performance.

Cheers,

Luke

I find myself in a similar situation. I purchased a secondhand fridge from Gumtree for $200. While it initially worked, it was plagued with various issues.

The unit has two small fans, but the rubber straps meant to keep them suspended snap, causing the fans to stall and rub against the polystyrene, triggering an audible alarm. Though I managed to fix the fans temporarily, they eventually seized up again, leading to more alarms. Subsequently, the cooling element brackets in the freezer broke, prompting me to strip out all the electronics and bypass them. The hours spent trying to fix this fridge have been considerable.

Now, I've reached a point where I'm contemplating giving up and investing in a new fridge.

I previously had a kegerator from Keg King, but its performance left much to be desired. The build quality was subpar, and everything felt cheap. I concur that modifying a good-quality fridge, ideally with the freezer at the bottom for accessibility, seems to be the optimal solution.

However, the challenge with secondhand fridges lies in uncertainty regarding their capacity to fit 3 or 4 19-liter kegs. It's always a hassle to request accurate measurements from the seller. Additionally, none of the manuals provide information on the location of cooling lines, making it risky to drill holes in the fridge.

Perhaps as home brewers, we should consider creating a database of suitable fridges, providing feedback on their suitability and performance.

Cheers,

Luke
I too started with a kegerator and it wasnt long before I got sick of defrosting it from icing over then messing about with ways to keep the font cool fans, insulation blah blah blah - Qld humidity certainly doesn’t help at all !
So here’s a start on the data base

Kegerator- bad

F&P - bad

Westinghouse
(the one I have that fits 4 kegs and keeps the beer super cool and ice / frost free!) - Excellent !

Back