Kegland Flow Stopper

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billygoat

Reaction score
Hello All
I‘ve been considering the KL Flow Stopper set up.
Does anyone use it, if so, how did you find it.
I was looking to use it when transferring beer from the fermenter (using about 2 psi pressure) to a corny keg.
Does it leave the keg completely full with no head space?

I have one and used it once, and it's sat in the drawer unused ever since. It doesn't take much to stop the flow, so any foaming when filling will shut it down early.

Yes. I do generally use it but as above it tends to stop a little early. As soon as the foam hits it the little ball just seals and stops the flow. I then need to remove it, flush the foam and re-start. On a corny keg that is fine, but on a smaler 5l one its a bit of a pain. When I get round to it I will modify mine slightly by increasing the beerline between the stopper and the ball lock to around 1m so as to try and stop the foam blowoff stopping the flow when the keg gets above 3/4 full.

If you transfer under gravity with both a beer & gas line, it stops itself with a completely full keg. Never fails. Some people just don't like a completely full keg.

Well full all the way up to the short gas dip tube. So there will be a small amount of head space. You could take the dip tube out and get even more beer in there if you wanted to. I have non-returns in my gas manifold so I never worry about beer getting sucked up my gas lines.

Plus it doesn't use any gas and you don't have to watch it. Yes it may take a little longer but just walk away and come back in half an hour and it's done.

Well full all the way up to the short gas dip tube. So there will be a small amount of head space. You could take the dip tube out and get even more beer in there if you wanted to. I have non-returns in my gas manifold so I never worry about beer getting sucked up my gas lines.

Plus it doesn't use any gas and you don't have to watch it. Yes it may take a little longer but just walk away and come back in half an hour and it's done.
I carbonate in the keg and usually fill to about 10mm below the gas dip tube. Not sure how it would go if the gas dip tube was submerged. I suppose l could use the flow stopper and fill the keg and then run off enough beer to get below the tube. I might get one and have a play.
Thanks for your help.

I carbonate in the keg and usually fill to about 10mm below the gas dip tube. Not sure how it would go if the gas dip tube was submerged. I suppose l could use the flow stopper and fill the keg and then run off enough beer to get below the tube. I might get one and have a play.
Thanks for your help.
It won't matter if the gas dip tube is submerged (not really submerged anyeway, beer just up to the bottom of it), there's still head space for CO2-beer contact, it's not just the tiny dip tube amount of CO2 contact.

The 3 main reasons I can think of to not gravity fill a keg is 1.) you don't want a completely full keg, 2.) you don't want to lift your fermentor up to sit higher than a keg and 3.) you don't have the patience to wait for it to fill.

The pros far outweighth the cons.

I always fill past the gas line, just vent using the prv until head starts blowing out. Never had an issue. Never had beer in my gas lines

Latest posts

Back