Keggle - Gas Burner Hazard Warning

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaltyHops

Reaction score
For those using gas burners under keggles that have a rolled lip at the bottom,
stumbled across a hazard reported HERE where one post states:

"Apparently if those rolled lips are not vented, you create a massive build up of pressure
from heating and whether that be from gas, water, or just air i'm not sure. I would just
make sure they have holes drilled in them to be safe. Not to mention a keggle full of
boiling wort being tipped on the ground is a sad, sad situation I never want to be in."

T.

[doesn't seem to be anything here relating to this]

There's a pictorial somewhere on the net where someone had all the vents in the rind welded up for some reason. Heated the keg and created a rather large blast zone.

As one would expect from heating a closed vessel.

Thanks for the safety warning & associated pics, guys.
Just poked my head out the back and checked mine. All's good.

Had a squizz. Got vents around my keggle. Cheers for the heads up.

Wasn't that one. i do believe someone had welded a flat false bottom on and was using it as a double boiler or some such. the devestation came with a report and wa considerably worse than that.

i've never wanted to weld them up cause they offer drainage... welding them seems silly to me

I think you might be talking about this link, made me check my keggle :eek:

Jeez, that's a bit scary. Imagine standing there throwing in some hops then BOOM! Covered in boiling wort with a chunk of stainless sticking out of your leg. When good times go bad.....

Latest posts

Back