Kegging part of a batch.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pipsyboy

Reaction score
As the title implies, anyone ever kegged part of a batch a bit early and left the rest to sit it out?

Got 28 litres in the fermenter and was thinking of kegging 9 litres tomorrow morning when it will have been in there 9 days. Would leave the rest at least another 5 days.

It's not essential but I just want an extra, different beer on tap when people come over at the weekend. I'm sure the 9 will be fine but what effect would this have on the other 19?

Im guessing it would draw oxygen into your FV which couldn't be good

Yes do it sometimes
Am careful spray around fermenters in the fridge with Sodium Met a while before removing airlock
Only leave for 4-5 days before kegging the remainder
Havent had a problem
Doesnt mean that i wont have one

If worried about O2 you could draw off the 9L for the keg, chuck in a small amount of dex/sugar into the fermenter to produce a bit of CO2? As you have a keg setup you could always squirt in a quick shot of CO2 from the bottle.

Plenty of people transfer fermented beer into secondary without worrying.

My initial thoughts were that it would be ok as even with there being less beer in the fermenter there would still be the co2 'blanket' over it.

I use glad wrap so would just remove and replace.

Even if there is O2 above the co2 it shouldn't be able to get at the beer.

Back